1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

How to Pay for Medica School

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by DNALadder2002, Oct 25, 2001.

1. DNALadder2002

DNALadder2002 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Do most schools do everything possible to help the incoming students finance their first year of medical school? or do we have to take active measures in finding outside resources? In particular, it would be wonderful if a med student from George Washington could answer.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. lilycat

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm not at GW, but most med schools work the same way on this. The standard practice is that most schools set a budget that includes tuition, books, associated school fees, living expenses (I tend to believe that private schools set more realistic budgets for living expenses than public schools, but that's just my opinion), etc. and then approve you for various loans based on the budget, and how you filled out your financial aid paperwork. You will be able to get loans for all of your expenses.

Additionally, many schools have various need-based and merit-based scholarships as well as grants that the FAO typically automatically reviews your paperwork for, to determine your eligibility. They also send you a sheet listing the various scholarships, because some apply to residents of a certain state, or are specialty-specific, if you already know what you want to do. You can usually indicate if you want to be considered for any of these scholarships.

Other outside scholarships, and programs like the military HPSP, you usually have to research yourself, although I'm sure the FAO has some information to get you started.

Hope this helps.