How to perform well on year 3 rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HuskyPride149

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently in my second rotation which is OB/GYN and I had FM as my first rotation. I'm not exactly sure how to get an "Honors" for rotations other than putting my best foot forward, asking for feedback, and trying hard to improve. This is difficult since some rotations I am with different attendings day to day and week to week so not much time to impress.

I also consider myself as someone who has difficulty recalling information on the spot as I feel my boards knowledge went out the window after the summer. Definitely think I am passing and trying hard, but unsure if I will "Honors" any of my rotations this year. How important are "Honors" for 3rd year in your overall residency application. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It's subjective grading. Aside from what you're already doing and being a constant kiss ass, there is no magic formula to honors. Welcome to the ambiguous thing called "the real world" where there is no definitive answer in a multiple choice test.

Reactions: 1 user
It's subjective grading. Aside from what you're already doing and being a constant kiss ass, there is no magic formula to honors. Welcome to the ambiguous thing called "the real world" where there is no definitive answer in a multiple choice test.

Real talk here: how does it look to get midpoint feedback from your attendings in term of an assessment on your performance in order to get that honor status (i.e. attending's expectations and ways to improve)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Real talk here: how does it look to get midpoint feedback from your attendings in term of an assessment on your performance in order to get that honor status (i.e. attending's expectations and ways to improve)?
Well, it's a tricky thing because you can never say "how do i get honors?" I think if they offer feedback and you implement it, it can definitely help you, but how much? I don't know. If you have friends that are upperclassmen and your school lets you choose rotations, it's easier to find out who gives honors to just about anyone that rotates than to actually put in the hard work that may never pay off. I've also seen rotations where no matter how useless or perfect you are, everyone just gets pass.

You all know the real answer: gun more.

have your parents be friends with the medical director of the hospital and you'll honors every rotation

Well, it's a tricky thing because you can never say "how do i get honors?" I think if they offer feedback and you implement it, it can definitely help you, but how much? I don't know. If you have friends that are upperclassmen and your school lets you choose rotations, it's easier to find out who gives honors to just about anyone that rotates than to actually put in the hard work that may never pay off. I've also seen rotations where no matter how useless or perfect you are, everyone just gets pass.

Im not sure i agree with that. I think its totally reasonable to say...I'm very interested in X field and performing well is important to me. Could you tell me what level past honor students were working at so i have something to shoot for? Or some variation of this.... lets them know you want honors pretty clearly.

When I did my third year rotations, I high-passed my first one (internal medicine) and from that point I began to do the "how do I get honors?" thing but in a more diplomatic way. I approached each attending/fellow/senior resident that I'd be working with at the start of a rotation with a discussion of how I could be an effective and helpful member of the team, that I'm striving to be an excellent clinician and if they had any recommendations on how to do that or things to focus on, as well as their preferences on how they would like us to present patients on rounds. It is also helpful if you suggest to them things you are trying to focus on ( physical exam, differential, assessment and plan etc.) and then they know that you are trying to improve yourself, not just trying to get honors. This ended up working well for the rest of third year and was highlighted in many of my evaluations with statements such as "I told him to do X and he did X" or "the student wanted to strengthen his differential diagnosis and this improved throughout the rotation." Keep in mind, sometimes "being helpful" resulted in calling nurses/social work/PT/OT etc on rounds, carrying around bandages/tape/scissors/drains/etc., but thats part of third year. One of my surgery residents said it best though that if the student can have the right tape, the right bandages, the right drains, etc. on rounds then you can save 2-3 minutes per patients, which for 20 patients can save up to an hour on rounds, then this allows time to get coffee/get breakfast and allow your attending and team to get to know you as more than just the third year student.

Reactions: 7 users
Im not sure i agree with that. I think its totally reasonable to say...I'm very interested in X field and performing well is important to me. Could you tell me what level past honor students were working at so i have something to shoot for? Or some variation of this.... lets them know you want honors pretty clearly.
Your argument is strong. I could see it working. I could also see it backfiring.

It's always worth asking "do you have any feedback for me?" even if it's not a specialty you're interested in.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm curious but what's wrong with asking for a certain standard of excellency in order to be the best future resident and physician for future patients.

I'm curious but what's wrong with asking for a certain standard of excellency in order to be the best future resident and physician for future patients.
It's okay to ask for feedback, but it's all about the wording and your expectations from it

Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond!! Appreciate all of your tips and will definitely keep it in mind for my next rotation!

The problem is, you want to do well, especially if you're doing rounds on the specialty you want. It would suck if that attending who gave pass to everyone happened to be doing surgery and you were interested in surgery.

The problem is, you want to do well, especially if you're doing rounds on the specialty you want. It would suck if that attending who gave pass to everyone happened to be doing surgery and you were interested in surgery.
I must have expressed myself poorly. My point is you can't ask how you get honors. You can ask how to be able to perform well or better. You can also share your desire to match in their specialty. However, even if you do this, it may not translate into getting honors. Hope this clarifies it.

Reactions: 2 users
I have the pleasure of being at a site for 3rd year where the attendings just plain don't give honors, period. Not that I'm deserving of such, but even the rock start students who go above and beyond get the same P or HP that I will. Tis a shame.

Reactions: 1 user