How to pick a list of schools given the circumstances?

• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

Emny

Oct 17, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
҉̮̯͈͇͙̣̦̜

Last edited:

If you achieve a 19+, you with your current grades (even after a rough start) are still fairly competitive. They'll see that you grew, that counts for alot. If you graduated summa cum laude I wouldn't be surprised if you get 21+.

Last edited:

jeffity

7+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2009
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
I wouldn't sweat the GPA stuff so much. Sure, that 1.8 makes my eyes bleed, but you have since turned it around and did really well and still have legit GPAs. Just be prepared to address it if it comes up.

Definitely still submit your paperwork for WICHE. You don't have to accept the funding if you end up getting into a WICHE school and it's offered to you. While it might not affect acceptance, the benefit of just applying as a WICHE applicant is that it will definitely help get you interviews to a few of those schools (assuming you don't completely bomb the DAT). If you're looking to do this applicaiton thing only once, the more interviews the better.

About the Ads

Bereno

Smoking Monkey
10+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2011
Washington
A few things are going super well for you: your commanding upward trend, and the time difference that the nonsense occurred. It was a while ago, and you obviously have grown since then. You have a rocking GPA so for now I would do two things: submit the WICHE paperwork, and study your ass off for the DAT. Everyone's "good" DAT is different. There is no point in shooting for a specific score; just get as high as you can, be that a 19, 25 or whatever. If you are able to nail a good DAT, your as good as you can get.

AwesomeTeeth

Feb 21, 2011
Status (Visible)
Arizona
-ASDOH
-Midwestern
California
-UCLA
-UCSF
-UOP
-USC
-Western
Colorado
-UC
Florida
-Nova
-UF
-LECOM
Nevada
-UNLV
Oregon
-OHSU
Texas
-Baylor
-UTHSC Houston
-UTHSC San Antonio
Utah
-Roseman
Washington
-UW

I believe UF only takes a handful of out of state people so I wouldn't apply there. Although your app is solid, it still has a red flag with your previous grades. I honestly wouldn't bother with the Texas schools unless you have a GREAT app. They don't take many OOS and everyone who does apply there from outside Texas usually have excellent stats and appliactions. So that should narrow down your list a little bit.

D

deleted259194

Wow, the turn around that you've made is really commendable and will definitely make you a stand out from the applicant pool. I'm sure if you score 20's on your DAT you'll have a high chance in getting in school somewhere. Best of luck.

HillsNayyr

Oct 3, 2010
St. Peter, Minnesota
www.facebook.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
To start off, I'm a non-trad and don't have a state school and live on the west coast. For all intents and purposes, I would be considered out of state everywhere I applied. I could technically apply as a WICHE sending applicant, but I don't think it makes a big difference in getting an acceptance. Plus I don't want to be tied down and limit my opportunities by the restrictive WICHE aid to have to come back to the state to practice.

My GPAs are really ****ed up due to the circumstances. When I first started university, I had come out of high school as a straight A student and received full ride scholarships to my state school. Unfortunately, a lot of **** happened, and I ended up dropping out of school and did not withdraw from my classes. This leaves me with a semester full of E's, and it really pulls my current GPA down into the gutter. I left that school with a 1.8 oGPA at 31 credit hours. I'm trying to appeal my grades to get the E's replaced as W's through a retroactive withdrawal, but that is up in the air at the moment.

Fast forward to present day after nearly a decade, and I have recently graduated summa cum laude at a different university with a bachelor's in biology. My oGPA was 3.92 and sGPA 3.84 at 163 credit hours with BCP pretty much equivalent to the sGPA. If I take into account my previous school's GPA, this brings my oGPA down to 3.57 and sGPA to 3.71. This is a very large hit to my application, and I'm not sure how negative this wild card is going to affect me.

Other than that crazy mess, there is only one other grade I would have to explain which is an E in OChem 2, because I didn't go to class and couldn't withdraw from it due to already taking out student loans and receiving financial aid. If I had withdrawn from the class, it would have messed up all my finances and possibly put the rest of my classes in jeopardy. I'm already retaking it and am projected to get a B. That takes care of all my prerequisites with the exception of general psychology, which I would take if accepted to a school that requires it.

Since I have a lot of explaining to do with my grades, and I don't know how bad it will affect my application, I am going for the shotgun approach and am pretty much applying to all the schools here on the West coast to be closer to family. The exceptions here are Florida, due to it would be nice to go to school near a warm beach, and Texas, since if I get extremely lucky and get in, the tuition is dirt cheap compared to other schools.

Arizona
-ASDOH
-Midwestern
California
-UCLA
-UCSF
-UOP
-USC
-Western
Colorado
-UC
Florida
-Nova
-UF
-LECOM
Nevada
-UNLV
Oregon
-OHSU
Texas
-Baylor
-UTHSC Houston
-UTHSC San Antonio
Utah
-Roseman
Washington
-UW

Should I apply to "safe" schools on the East coast as well and perhaps cull some choices on my current list? 18 is a pretty big number, and the expenses are probably going to be outrageous; however, I don't want to take any chances, and these expenses will pale in comparison to tuition anyhow. I'd rather apply broadly and waste a little bit of money to get in, rather than have to apply again next year, since I have already squandered years of my life away.

With all that in mind, what kind of DAT scores should I be aiming for given the list of schools? I have all my study materials now and will be studying for the DAT and planning on taking it mid or late June. And do you think the list is safe enough for me to get an acceptance somewhere if I get an interview and don't blow it, considering the **** storm that my GPA has been through? Thanks in advance for any helpful advice you can send my way.
Being out of state I wouldn't bother with an application to UF or any of the texas schools. Buy the ADEA Guide to Dental Schools. They have the stats for each school on how many out of state vs in state they accept. My first application cycle I wasted a lot of time and money applying to schools that I had no real chance of getting into.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.