How to pick a school for the MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Homer101

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I plan to work with international agencies in the development of health care systems primarily in South Asia. Work on AIDS prevention and malnutrition with WHO. To pursue my goals I feel an MPH and later down the road a MBA would be perfect. Thats the background. Here is where I need help!!
I got accepted to both Columbia and Yale for MPH degrees in Epi. After looking endlessly at their websites I became even more confused. Columbia is ranked much higher academically, so should I just go by the US news rankings. While Yale has fewer students so a more interaction with the professors. Apart from that I don't really know much about them. I would really appreciate it if you guys can give me some advice what would be a better choice. Would it make a differnce when I applied to their/or any other MBA program which school I went for to do the MPH. Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Homer101 said:
Hi Guys,
I plan to work with international agencies in the development of health care systems primarily in South Asia. Work on AIDS prevention and malnutrition with WHO. To pursue my goals I feel an MPH and later down the road a MBA would be perfect. Thats the background. Here is where I need help!!
I got accepted to both Columbia and Yale for MPH degrees in Epi. After looking endlessly at their websites I became even more confused. Columbia is ranked much higher academically, so should I just go by the US news rankings. While Yale has fewer students so a more interaction with the professors. Apart from that I don't really know much about them. I would really appreciate it if you guys can give me some advice what would be a better choice. Would it make a differnce when I applied to their/or any other MBA program which school I went for to do the MPH. Thanks guys.

Hihi Homer,

Well, I got accepted to Columbia as well, but for a different department. I don't know too much about the school - but I will say that you are allowed as an MPH student to take classes in their business school and school of public policy. If you're interested in going for an MBA down the road, this might be helpful to see if you like business or not.

Yale's program, from what someone has told me, gives you chances to do things internationally. I know someone who went there and was allowed to go to developing countries during the summer between 1st and 2nd year to do work, sort of like a field internship. If this interests you, maybe it's something to look into.

I wish I could tell you more, but that's about all I know. If you have any other questions, write back please.

Hi Doc,
Its really helpful to get some feedback from you. I am actually going out to see Columbia end of this month, as I will be in NYC for a seminar. I feel that maybe after the MPH it might be good to have an MBA, so yea if Columbia lets you take classes in different departments thats pretty cool. I was more asking about the overall reputation of the schools. I know Yale isn't ranked as high as Columbia when it comes to Public Health, but is that the right way to judge the reputation in the non-profit job market? Once again I really appreciate the all your input.

I am interested in international health organization management. So I've applied to several MPH programs in Health Management or International Health (or a joint dept proram in Tulane's case) that offers flexibility between the disciplines. So far, Yale and Tulane are my top choices because from talking to students and Chairs of departments, these schools have the infrastructure to help me do internships abroad etc. The Chair at Yale said specifically that it doesn't have the international health managment focus that Tulane does (I couldn't believe she made the comparison!) but the Yale name carries and they would work to fit my needs.

I'm also considering BU and Emory. I applied late in the game b/c I didn't think I'd want to go next year, so I missed the JH, Harvard, and UNC deadlines - all of which I hear have great programs in global health and mgmt. Anybody have any thoughts on Yale vs Tulane vs Emory vs BU?

Gracias.