How to pick which programs to interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocKat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a question about how to select the programs to interview. I am an average AMG who has thus far received mostly interviews from mid-tier university programs (~15) and some lower tier programs (lower ranked university+community). I cannot realistically go on all the interviews and would like to focus my attention only on the mid-tier programs, where I would like to match. However I am concerned about not matching if I do this. Should I include some "lower-tier" programs on my interview schedule just to ensure that I match?

I know that we have discussed before that matching for AMGs approach 100% at 10 ranks, but is this including multiple safety programs? In other words, would I not match if I rank 15 programs that are within my match range? I have heard the general rule 1/3 reach, 1/3 match, 1/3 safety, should I follow this rule and include some safety programs?

I apologize in advance if my question sounds bizarre, this whole process is quite anxiety-provoking and makes me over-think everything

Thanks so much!!!

Members don't see this ad.

You are overthinking this. With 15 "good" interviews (and a few more to spare from the sound of things), the limiting factor in matching at this point is going to be you and your interview performance.

Come across like a normal, decent human who will work hard and has the willingness/capacity to learn and you'll be fine. If you act like a pretentious d-bag who already knows everything and looks at residency as a 3 year waste of time before you get a cards fellowship, then you may not do as well.

This is not meant to stress you out about the interview. Be normal, pleasant and not a jerk and you're golden.