How to politely remind LOR writers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

von Matterhorn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I asked 3 professors for LORs back in December. All agreed to do it, and I told them 'no rush, I don't need them until April or May'.

Well, when I said that, I said it with the assumption that they'd knock them out rather quickly since break was approaching for a full month. One professor wrote one within three days. Awesome. The other two haven't written them, or said anything to me. I realize I did tell them they had another month or two to write them, but I feel like after 4 months, they might have forgotten. Do you think sending a letter gently reminding them of the letter is ok, or should I just wait since I did give them a deadline off in the future. I just don't want to wait too long and then out of the blue have a writer back out a week before app cycles begin

Members don't see this ad.

There's no harm in a polite reminder. But make sure they know that your original deadline still stands, and that you're not trying to rush them.

Last year one of my profs still hadn't written his LOR by the end of May, even though I asked him in February! This is the email I sent to him, dated 6/1/2011:

Dr. XXXXXX,

I hope your summer is off to a good start. This is just a brief reminder that the Pre-medical Committee office asks that letters of recommendation for medical school applicants be submitted as close to June 1 as possible. The application verification process began today and AMCAS will begin sending information to individual schools within a couple of weeks. It is best if all of my letters are included in this initial submission, as that will minimize delays in the review process.

If you need another copy of my personal statement or other pertinent documents I would be happy to send them to you.

Once again, thank you so much for your help and support. It truly means a great deal to me. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

Morzh

That got the message across politely and my letter was written and submitted within 24 hours.

It wouldn't hurt to send something their way. Professors are super busy people.

Not to add to your paranoia, but I had two professors completely neglect my letter. I had planned ahead though. Looking for 5 letters, I made the request of 7 professors. After the other two missed the agreed upon ready date, I sealed the letter packet & forwarded it on. The idea was to have a couple variations of my letter packet for different schools...ended up not needing them anyway as my EDP school accepted me.

Good luck! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Lots of profs won't do LORs til the last minute, especially if you said "no rush". They're busy. That said, send them a polite email a few weeks before the deadline if you haven't received them. Your prof will probably appreciate the reminder.

Text your professor.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
I usually concoct some detail that I thought of that may be useful or give an update to something. Whichever I choose, I will mention the deadline again and thank them for writing the letter. Definitely do not hesitate to remind them, people let stuff slip sometimes.

There's no harm in a polite reminder. But make sure they know that your original deadline still stands, and that you're not trying to rush them.

Last year one of my profs still hadn't written his LOR by the end of May, even though I asked him in February! This is the email I sent to him, dated 6/1/2011:

Dr. XXXXXX,

I hope your summer is off to a good start. This is just a brief reminder that the Pre-medical Committee office asks that letters of recommendation for medical school applicants be submitted as close to June 1 as possible. The application verification process began today and AMCAS will begin sending information to individual schools within a couple of weeks. It is best if all of my letters are included in this initial submission, as that will minimize delays in the review process.

If you need another copy of my personal statement or other pertinent documents I would be happy to send them to you.

Once again, thank you so much for your help and support. It truly means a great deal to me. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

Morzh

That got the message across politely and my letter was written and submitted within 24 hours.

^This.

Last edited:
cute kitteh meme with the caption "Can I haz LOR nows"

Reactions: 1 user
Why do you need your LOR's by April/May? Most secondaries won't require them until July at the earliest.

Lots of profs won't do LORs til the last minute, especially if you said "no rush". They're busy. That said, send them a polite email a few weeks before the deadline if you haven't received them. Your prof will probably appreciate the reminder.

Yup, I had 2 of my professors send it in right before the deadline. I was so nervous so I went to their offices to badger them about it but they didn't forget. They just had a lot of things on their plate.

Everyone whom I have asked for a letter minus 1 = 5 people have asked me to send them a reminder to submit the letter.

Relax. it's completely expected.

I generally just thank them for writing the letter and submitting it by the deadline of XYZ and AB:CD time. If that doesn't work, politely stop by their office hours and have a brief chat.