How to predict the future

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

citra

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So right now I am trying to choose between two labs.

One is more of a mom n pop sorta deal. The PI seems to have good experience and worked at some top institutions. He is very liberal so his lab atmosphere is chill but he is vague so I'm not exactly sure what kind of work he wants me to do. He only has ~6 members in his lab.

Second is more well known and has some collaborative projects with a reputable lab. More members here. However, the job they want me to do seems like a routine lab tech position. This summer I did more interesting things so I don't want to go 'backwards.'

So my decision is hard because it would ultimately br based on what i do not know. With the first lab, will he give me enough of an idea of what he wants me to do? And will that lead to getting a good experience and maybe publications? Wiht the second lab, is it truly a lab tech position or once in, would I be able to prove myself worthy of more interesting tasks?

For those with experience, which one would you choose?

Members don't see this ad.

I worked in a very small lab after my junior year (read: me, a girl, and the PI). Maybe it's just because I prefer small environments anyway, but I really liked it. I got to be on a first name basis with the PI and we got to know each other very well. Granted, it wasn't earth shattering, ground breaking research, but it got me experience and probably a co-author credit when he finally finishes the project and incorporates the parts I've already written. Plus, I'm thinking I'll get a pretty good rec from this guy since he knows me so well.

I worked in a very small lab after my junior year (read: me, a girl, and the PI). Maybe it's just because I prefer small environments anyway, but I really liked it. I got to be on a first name basis with the PI and we got to know each other very well. Granted, it wasn't earth shattering, ground breaking research, but it got me experience and probably a co-author credit when he finally finishes the project and incorporates the parts I've already written. Plus, I'm thinking I'll get a pretty good rec from this guy since he knows me so well.

I agree. I worked with a PI and a couple of others. It was great. She taught me a lot and we got to know each other really well. She wrote me a good rec and I got to know her husband who was also a prof in my department. That gave me another great rec when I took his class.

It will be easier to network when you know the prof personally. They will definitely go out of their way to help.

I forgot to mention that with our lab we were able to have meetings where we all talked about what we were doing and troubleshoot and brainstorm together. Plus, I got to learn about what other people were doing.

I thought that was cool. I'm not sure if larger labs have the ability to do this.