how to prep for the verbal in the long run

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

student12x

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
well im going to a sophomore and I'm planing to take the mcat in my senior year. So I wonder what should do to now to get a really high score besides just looking at the practice tests.

should i read more book?
build a stronger vocabulary?

if so how? and what type of books?

Members don't see this ad.

take it your junior year so you can apply the summer between Jr and sr.

But basically read scholarly journes that are very convulted, and work on understanding the main jist of the passage. Also read scientifici journals it may help with bio

im at a JC so i don't want to complete the pre-reqs there. when i transfer Im going to take chem-ochem(takes about 2 yrs). so I'll finish ochem in my senior year.

also, pardon my ignorance, but do I need a high vocab for the MCAT verbal?

not particularly, you just gotta be able to get through long difficult, and oftentimes boring passages and understand whats going on. ITs not like the SAT with the analogies and sentence completions

A strong vocab certainly doesn't hurt, as there seem to be passages, and more commonly answers, that contain extraneous polysyllabic diction solely for the sake of making one's life difficult. Answers may use grandiose words and convoluted syntax just to make people think it's a good choice. It is in these circumstances that knowing more words than the average bear can be helpful, if for no other reason than to allow you to eliminate an answer choice and thereby tip the odds of a successful guess in your favor.

I know saying 'read the economist' is played out, but I think it's sound advice. I just took the mcat yesterday, and there was nothing on it any more difficult than any given E article about the state of Georgian (not the state) labor relations. Reading journals is probably good as well, but doing so limits the scope of the subject matter to which you'll be exposed.

As a side note, I actually thought all the passages (except the myth one, as I detest pompous art/history/religion theorists) to be pretty interesting. The bee one was kind of cool.