1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

How to prep myself for the Verbal section of the MCAT?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by leaveit2rani, Aug 20, 2011.

1. leaveit2rani

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I am going to probably study for the MCAT next summer. I'm gonna try to handle my loaded school schedule and EC's for the next 2 semesters though.

How can I prep for the Verbal without EK, etc? i am not really an avid reader, and I would really like to increase my reading speed/ retention rate for the MCAT. From what you guys know about the passages that are on there, what kind of real-world material should I read to prep myself before I go into hardcore studying?

should I read novels or science research papers, etc? just gimme something similar to the passage styles.. Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. cham90

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I'm just curious, why don't you want to use the EK 101 VR passages? I think practicing VR passages with AAMC style questions is by far the best way to improve.

I think broad reading would help, but only if you critically think about what you've read. Try to read works (scientific, literary, and others) that you can find analyses of (and compare their interpretations to your own). Try to summarize main ideas, the tone of the author, and try to figure out what else is going on in the author's mind as s/he is writing this. Find weaknesses in the arguments made and think what discoveries would weaken or augment their augments.

4. leaveit2rani

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I will use EK and all that other stuff later next summer. But I am trying to just find stuff to help me progress my reading speed and retention so I have some skill when beginning the actual studying for the MCAT. Are the passages normally science based? Or should I read fictional novels, NY times best sellers, etc?

5. MacBiochem

If you can get a hold of TPR hyperlearnign verbal book, it has a list of books you should read. But stay away from fiction, read the economist every morning... anything that will help you increase ur reading comprehension, if you can master reading difficult things quickly and actually understand them, then you will kill verbal. The Economist has been my best friend, would definitely recommend reading it daily. It will also help with WS stuff :)

6. MacBiochem

and oh, passages aren't science based... well soem might be, but tehy range from history, social sciences, humanities, ect. so again- tahts why i recommended The Economist, it covers everything :)

this is just my two cents.

sorry about the typos, it is really really cold in starbucks!

7. leaveit2rani

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

Thanks. I'll def subscribe. I have TPR hyperlearning 2011, they don't say any suggestions for books I should read tho.. do you have anymore?