How to prepare for hem/onc match with no research oportunity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MotoMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m in a small IM program and there hasn’t been any real research opportunities here. We had a few cases that we couldn’t follow through with and doing a poster on it wasn’t possible but I’m working on that. I am doing a couple QI projects which seem popular right now. With COVID I can’t really find any outside programs to rotate at either. Any suggestions on what I can do to be competitive I’m a US IMG with average step scores. Looking to apply next year. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You literally just described me. STEP scores in the 220s-230s, US IMG, small IM program with no in house fellowship, only case reports, QIs and local presentations. Matched two cycles ago. I would suggest working closely a small group of attendings and making sure your LOR's are good. Network if you can. I was told on the interview trial that it was mostly my letters that piqued their interest.

I’m in a small IM program and there hasn’t been any real research opportunities here. We had a few cases that we couldn’t follow through with and doing a poster on it wasn’t possible but I’m working on that. I am doing a couple QI projects which seem popular right now. With COVID I can’t really find any outside programs to rotate at either. Any suggestions on what I can do to be competitive I’m a US IMG with average step scores. Looking to apply next year. Thanks.

I want to add that research doesn't have to be constrained to heme/onc research. The important thing is to show initiative, drive, and output. I did far more hospitalist/IM-type research as a resident prior to fellowship, mostly also due to the constraints of not having a very established oncology research program (we had an in-house heme/onc fellowship, but everyone went into PP after fellowship and the research component even for in-house fellows was a joke). Easy to submit case reports to SGIM, SHM, and ACP (in order of likelihood for acceptance) that are all things you can put on your resume. If your hospital has an EMR, inquire with the IT guys or faculty whether there's a way to do some retrospective cohort chart review type research.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

Reactions: 1 user