How to prepare for MCAT??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MJ23

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to take Mcat exam this April and looking for any help from anyone who already passed that level and can provide me with some details. Can Princton Review help me in preparing for MCAT??? What is most important in order to enter Med School (GPA, MCAT, Volunteering, Clubs, ETC.) Thanks for help.... :p

Members don't see this ad.

I borrowed Berk Rev prep books from my friend to study ... I don't think Berk Rev is that good. I heard my friends said either Kaplan or Princeton Rev is good ... never tried them myself though....

I think GPA and MCAT are the 2 most important factors that will help you to pass the screening phase ... then everything after that depends on how the admission officer views your file (i.e. which factor s/he values more) ... and of course, luck plays a huge role here ....

MJ23 said:
I want to take Mcat exam this April and looking for any help from anyone who already passed that level and can provide me with some details. Can Princton Review help me in preparing for MCAT??? What is most important in order to enter Med School (GPA, MCAT, Volunteering, Clubs, ETC.) Thanks for help.... :p

Yes, PR can help prepare for MCAT, so can any other prep course. I taught for PR, can't tell you much about the other ones though. Most important is to ask around to see what past students have said about the teachers. Unfortuantely there is a high turnover rate for MCAT teachers cuz many move on. If you find an MCAT prep center with a lot of long term teachers (sometimes university professors that teach MCAT for extra cash) or if you know that teachers that you're friends have had are staying, take that class. Another good thing about those classes are that they provide materials. I liked PR because of the thoroughness of the material. Their policy is to cover EVERY subject and topic that has ever shown up on every mcat. Their philosophy is to have you study everything and at least be familiar with it. Some other courses from what I hear rather skim information and let you dig deeper on topics for which you feel you need more work. Obviously money is an issue. I did well after taking PR, and my friend did even better than I did after I gave her my books from PR and studying them on her own.
In any case, good luck. I just wrote a few paragraphs on some other aspects of studying in the mcat discussions section if you're interested.

sscooterguy