How to Prepare for Medical School (Particularly cardiology) as a High School Student?

Nov 17, 2013
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hello. I am a high school student currently in 10th grade. I am interested in learning about cardiology and preparing for medical school. Can someone recommend textbooks or resources I can use to prepare myself for college level medical classes and cardiology? I eventually plan on becoming a non invasive cardiologist.

Also, what do you guys think about the future of cardiology jobs? Is the demand increasing or decreasing? Do you think the annual pay will significantly increase or decrease?

I am also curious about the average weekly hours of a cardiologist..

Thanks in advance.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
May 10, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Hello. I am a high school student currently in 10th grade. I am interested in learning about cardiology and preparing for medical school. Can someone recommend textbooks or resources I can use to prepare myself for college level medical classes and cardiology? I eventually plan on becoming a non invasive cardiologist.

Also, what do you guys think about the future of cardiology jobs? Is the demand increasing or decreasing? Do you think the annual pay will significantly increase or decrease?

Thanks in advance.

I'd suggest just focusing on your high school classes, get a good GPA and test scores for the universities you wish to apply for. You don't need to get any MCAT books or medical school material as of yet. I suggest if you like Cardiology, read up on the field and volunteer in that area of medicine. Try not to be one sided though, you have quite a few years ahead to decide, myself included(Freshmen in college). So experience volunteering and readin about other fields would be a good place to start.

Hope you continue to visit on SDN, it is a great website!

Last edited:

mcloaf

7+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Try to succeed in high school so you can get into a good undergrad where you will perform well. There's no point in planning beyond that at this point. Most 1st and 2nd year medical students don't even know what specialty they're going to end up in.

FantasyVesperia

Always pushing forward...
7+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2012
Maryland
You don't. It seems like you're really interested in medicine, so try to take high level/AP level science courses if you can. Also try volunteering or shadowing a doctor, by doing this you can get great exposure to medicine and determine if it's right for you.

Instatewaiter

But... there's a troponin
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2006
Washington
Status
Attending Physician
Hello. I am a high school student currently in 10th grade. I am interested in learning about cardiology and preparing for medical school. Can someone recommend textbooks or resources I can use to prepare myself for college level medical classes and cardiology? I eventually plan on becoming a non invasive cardiologist. Also, what do you guys think about the future of cardiology jobs? Is the demand increasing or decreasing? Do you think the annual pay will significantly increase or decrease? I am also curious about the average weekly hours of a cardiologist.. Thanks in advance.
Take it one step at a time. You're jumping the gun a bit skippy. All you need to do is get your feet wet right now. Best way to learn about cardiology is to shadow a cardiologist. Find one in your area and follow them around and see what their day to day routine is.

Cardiology jobs are becoming tighter. There is a good/increasing supply of cardiologists and the demand is not changing all that much. Perhaps the demand will increase with the aging population and the onslaught of NPs becoming PCPs but despite this expect the annual pay to decrease.

Average hours are in the range of 50-70 hours per week depending on what you do.

Last edited:

JoBreeze

5+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2012
Status

Thanks in advance.
Slow your roll, junior. At 16 your job is to study hard, do some drugs and try to hook up with girls. You still have two consequence-free years left in your life.

There are plenty of medicine residents who don't know what they want to do with their lives.

stlrams22

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jun 1, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical

Thanks in advance.
It's really simple, you don't plan for medical school and cardiology. First finish high school. Then start college and do well. Get a good MCAT. Then you need a medical school acceptance. Then pass medical school classes, and step 1 and 2. Then secure an internal medicine residency. Then a fellowship in cardiology.

Looks like you have a lot of work before you need to worry about cardiology.

Omppu27

El Tiburon
7+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2011
Pawnee, Indiana
Status
Medical Student
I agree that it's entirely too early for you to waste any serious thought about becoming a cardiologist. However, there was a thread in the pre med allo forum of a cardiologist/former med school interviewer who was taking questions. You should try to look it up. I would post link but I'm using sdn app...