How to prepare for OB rotation as a FP intern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shivasHeroLike

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OB is my first intern rotation and I'm terrified lol. It was my first rotation as an MS3 and i don't remember much from it haha.. any advice ?

Members don't see this ad.

Have you already taken the ALSO(adv. life support in obstetrics) course?
it covers most of the nightmares in ob like shoulder dystocia, breech presentations, pre-eclampsia/eclampsia, and post partum hemorrhage. also covers things like fetal monitoring.
all our FP residents here take it before their first ob rotation.
great course. I really got a lot out of it.
also the prep guide "OBGYN Secrets" has many of the standard problems and pimp questions covered well.
good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
i did see that thread. No, unfortunately our program doesn't offer ALSO.

i've heard people carry the little red book for OBGYN/Infertility. how helpful is that you think ?

The little red book is nice but won't help much when a gal comes to triage at 26 weeks with a bp of 255/180 with nosigns of fetal distress. Just hope you have a good senior that teaches. As an intern onOB crap flows uphill and downhill to the senior resident. Pay attention and learn asmuch as you can.

head control, head control, head control. Did I mention head control? Nobody really helps you with second stage management, so let me tell you: When baby is +3/+4 station and mom is pushing, put pressure against the baby's head and slow the delivery as much as possible. I know this sounds counter intuitive, but the slower the delivery the more time for stretching of maternal tissues and the less amount of tears you will have (presuming the strip is good and you don't need that kid out yesterday).

Intern year is tough, and OB especially seems to have a really steep learning curve. Accept that for the first 3-6 months your job is to show up and make mistakes. Keep your uppers in the loop as to what is happening, read read read, and ask questions. Good luck!

head control, head control, head control. Did I mention head control? Nobody really helps you with second stage management, so let me tell you: When baby is +3/+4 station and mom is pushing, put pressure against the baby's head and slow the delivery as much as possible. I know this sounds counter intuitive, but the slower the delivery the more time for stretching of maternal tissues and the less amount of tears you will have (presuming the strip is good and you don't need that kid out yesterday).

Great advice! So true.

OB is my first intern rotation and I'm terrified lol. It was my first rotation as an MS3 and i don't remember much from it haha.. any advice ?

Do not worry. You should have a PGY-2 resident who will be with you for the first few days to give you an idea of what your responsibilities are. In my opinion, OB is one of the "easiest" rotations...beacuse unlike in-patient medicine, it is pretty much straight forward protocol following. After your first 2 weeks you will feel like you are a pro. In addition, there will be OB nurses around you. Unlike "other" nurses, OB nurses are experts in what they do (again, because OB for the most part is straight forward protocol following). So you will be fine.