How to prepare for retaking the MCAT in January

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rgupta0747

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I know this question has been plenty asked before, but I need to discuss it again.

Here is my situation:

I am just starting Senior Year. I spent the past summer (Mid June - End of August) dutifully preparing for the MCAT. I boosted my diagnostic score (Kaplan) from a 22 to my last FL of 31 (32 was my highest). I took the exam on 8/28/13 and the score I got was PS: 11, VR: 6, BS: 12 = 29. That 6 is a big red flag for me.

I have no idea what went wrong in Verbal considering I was getting 8-9 on most of my FLs. I've been thinking of retaking the exam on January 24th but I need to know if I have a reasonable amount of time.

Currently, with a GPA of 3.49, I'm taking General Microbiology (w/ lab), Intro to Psychology, Upper Division Writing for Health Sciences and Medicine, and Environmental Horticulture (my easy upper division). Currently, that schedule accounts for 18 hrs/week of classes. I also Volunteer/Research/Work 8 hrs/week. Based on how my schedule is set up, I only have Friday to Sunday as all day studying days (for school and MCAT). For the winter break, I plan on going full blast (if I have the energy and will) for the MCAT.

Next quarter (in January), I will be taking Anatomy (w/ lab) and probably 2-3 upper division science courses to meet my graduation requirements.

Spring Quarter (April), I have 2 very difficult and time consuming science courses that I will need for my major, so taking the MCAT after March is more or less not feasible.

All in all, I'd really just like some advice. I've spent the past 24 hours reading every forum possible but don't know. I'm meeting with my Pre-Med advisor later this week but I'd like to hear from fellow students going through the process as well. What is really bothering me about retaking the exam is my confidence in doing well. I didn't feel sick or have any personal issues when I took the exam, so I have only myself to blame. The last thing I'd hate to see is me spending the next 3.5 months studying for an exam that doesn't show improvement.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Let's start with what content/practice material you used, how long you studied, and what where your methods or study, and your post-content and post-FL analysis.

It looks like verbal is the problem you can still take it in jan. Study as much as you can now. December and January, just take as much FLs as you can because your ps and bs aren't bad. Get the SAs from aamc, if you didn't already use it, for verbal because that's better. You can perhaps follow the Spinach method for roughly two months. Also try to read more often. You'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let's start with what content/practice material you used, how long you studied, and what where your methods or study, and your post-content and post-FL analysis.

Conent: Plowed through all of Kaplan's material (RN, FL 1-7, Qbank, Section Exams, Chapter Exams...). I also tackled AAMC FL (3-10)

Methods of study: I would go from 8:00 - 5:00 for 6 days a week. From June to end of July I spent trying to focus on my weak points (especially in PS and VR). In August, I took 2 FLs a week and reviewed them.

I'm not sure what you mean by post-content/post-FL analysis. Can you explain that?

It looks like verbal is the problem you can still take it in jan. Study as much as you can now. December and January, just take as much FLs as you can because your ps and bs aren't bad. Get the SAs from aamc, if you didn't already use it, for verbal because that's better. You can perhaps follow the Spinach method for roughly two months. Also try to read more often. You'll be fine.

Can you explain the Spinach method? I never heard of that before.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=988678 < Spinach Method

Like what did you do after you took the FL's? How was your method of reviewing and identifying weaknesses and how did you act on it? I just looked at your breakdown (sorry I only saw the 29 the first look) and it looks like you were pretty good on the sciences. VR is definitely a major factor so try and aim for maybe 5-6 passages a day and read work through them. Use all kind of resources then use EK101 or TPRH for last and go from there.

After my FLs, I'd go over each problem and for the ones I got wrong, write down how I can get the correct answer before looking at the explanation. If I still didn't understand it, I'd look it up.

But thanks for the advice. I'll probably start reading VR passages before December (I purchased TBR Verbal Review book to help) and then once my last final is done, I'll tackle the Spinach Method.

Thanks again for the advice and best of luck to you!

good.TPRH Hyperlearning and EK101 for verbal boost, best stuff that's out there.
pgUc

good.TPRH Hyperlearning and EK101 for verbal boost, best stuff that's out there.
pgUc

I purchased the EK101 Verbal from Amazon for $20 so we'll see how that works. I have the TPR Verbal practice right now.

Rgupta I swear your story is identical to mine. A quick Google search brought me straight here.

In my case the 29 was due to a 10,10, and 9 in physical (which was always my strongest subject)

My only concern is that if I get a 29 with 3 months of no distraction studying, how much can I hope to improve while studying during school and research.

I'm also in my senior year, but Im stressing out as to when to take it.

I'm assuming your applying the following fall??

Best of luck to you on your studying! I plan to have my app done by summer 2014. I'll probably apply to MD in the US and Canada (I have dual citizenship) and most or all of the DO schools. Crossing my fingers :)