How to Prepare for the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hrmirzae

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I was wondering if those people who already did the MCATs (and did well on them) had any study tips for us little people who are writing ours in April. Anything that you guys found helpful and essential would be appreciated.

THANK YOU!!!

Members don't see this ad.

hrmirzae said:
Hey everyone,
I was wondering if those people who already did the MCATs (and did well on them) had any study tips for us little people who are writing ours in April. Anything that you guys found helpful and essential would be appreciated.

THANK YOU!!!

at the top of the MCAT forum page there is a sticky with tips from people who got a 30+ on the MCAT. I suggest that you read through that. Also, remember that there's no set formula to studying since people learn better in different ways.

Hi hrmirzae,
I did the MCAT twice, the first time i got 26M and the second time 35R. I corrected many mistakes i made the first time around. Here is what helped me the most.
1) Start studying as soon as you can (2 months before)
2) The Kaplan Review book helped me a lot.
3) The "MCAT review CUE CARDS" were EXTREMELY HELPFULL. I would suggest you pick a set up.
4) Try to do as many practice exams as possible. Dont forget to time your exams.

Hope this helps.

DrLegende said:
Hi hrmirzae,
I did the MCAT twice, the first time i got 26M and the second time 35R. I corrected many mistakes i made the first time around. Here is what helped me the most.
3) The "MCAT review CUE CARDS" were EXTREMELY HELPFULL. I would suggest you pick a set up.
4) Try to do as many practice exams as possible. Dont forget to time your exams.

Hope this helps.

Great advice. I would add that working HARD on your weaknesses (as assessed by something like the Kaplan diagnostic) will take you to where you want to be.

In my case, I was fine in verbal, gen-chem and Bio but I needed to work on physics and orgo. When I started concentrating on those sections, it made a huge difference.

Also, learn to understand the BASICS of each science section and do not over think it. The MCAT tests basic science knowledge, nothing much more

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't taken the MCAT yet. But a pretty obvious observation: if you have a particular strength (either in physics, bio, chem, o-chem, or verbal), you should really kill on that section. Free points practically, if you think about it. Anyway, thats just a thought.

I took the MCAT last August and got 12/11/12 O .. I didn't take a course but instead bought a Princenton Review Book and went through it 2 times..What I found most helpful was the MCAT Cue Cards since they helped me with reviewing material but also trained me to recall info on the fly (which I found cruical on the actual MCAT cause you are pressed for time and must know your stuff inside and out). Both Princeton Review and MCAT Review cards were worth the money.
Hope this helps.
Good luck on the upcoming MCAT!!

hrmirzae said:
Hey everyone,

THANK YOU!!!

hi,
i took the MCATs and got a 38. email me at [email protected] for some WONDEFUL study aids!

Don't nobody listen to hshaish! He's most likely a voyeur trying to send you X-rated materials!

DrLegende said:
Hi hrmirzae,

Hope this helps.

Do you think the whole MCAT prep could be done within 2 months for first time takers.

Fatima said:
why don't you post it so that it is accessible to others as well.

I'm surprised that s/he is still around because s/he had a different thread on here that was closed for selling things. My gut feeling with this is that it is a scam.