How to prepare over the summer for Orgo and Genetics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yazo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'd really like to find out what you guys did to prepare for these two classes! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Enjoy your summer, friend! You won't have much free time once school starts. Volunteer and take a break from classes this summer. Jeez.

Reactions: 2 users
1. Don't.
2. If you do, don't pre-study Genetics, it's pretty basic.
3. Don't.
4. If you do, just review the basics of electron pushing for Orgo.
5. Don't.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Check online for the syllabus, get your text book (if required or strongly recommended). Start no more than one week early and come prepared for the first class.

Just prepare yourself mentally. Know that orgo is tough but if you come prepared for every class starting day 1 then you should be fine as Pagan mentioned above. I know that for me, I was really nervous my first day of orgo because of all the hype surrounding it so I made sure to hit the ground running by giving proper attention to each lecture starting from day 1. It helped me out immensely, I never really felt behind, and I REALLY came to enjoy orgo for the awesome subject that it is. Have fun

P.S. I also did genetics at the same time as orgo II. It's tough but definitely possible. Again, treat every lecture with priority and don't slack off.

You don't need to pre-study, but if you do....

Organic Chemistry as a Second Language - Klein
Organic Chemistry - Wade

Genetics for Dummies - just a quick intro + review

Reactions: 1 user
If you want to prepare for Orgo, I would suggest just watching Khan Academy videos. Short, sweet, and to-the-point. You'll have the concepts in hand once the course begins.

I pre-read Organic Chemistry by Klein (the white TEXTBOOK) for organic 1. Doing so absolutely helped me. By the time i started class I had finished stereochemistry. Recieved an A and the highest grade.

Genetics you dont need to prestudy.

I didn't pre-study organic and was able to make an A. It probably would have been a bit easier if I had pre-studied though.

If you wanted to pre-study, learn line-bond drawings, functional groups, nomenclature, boiling point trends, review acid-base chemistry, stereochemistry. I wouldn't worry about mechanisms until class starts.

Don't go too in-depth without obtaining a syllabus for your class. Khan Academy and Organic as a Second Language is helpful.

learn how to draw a hexagon

I forgot how great I got at drawing hexagons until I started studying for the MCAT. It's like riding a bike.

What's this "pre studying" you guys speak of?? Sounds like a terrible idea. OP, you don't need to pre study. I got an A in Ochem when I took it after being out of school for 4 years. Just work hard.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Agree with everyone above. Draw hexagons. But PLEASE do not actually pre study for these classes. There is really nothing to worry about. You hear all this bad stuff from other science majors about orgo being hard. I will be brutally honest. The students saying that are dumb, or not putting in the work to achieving good grades. Getting an A in orgo and genetics was not that difficult, and I think if you put in the work you will see good results. Good luck, and don't listen to other students.

Wiki premed has a neat little pocket guide of mechanisms along with accompanying videos.

I wish khan academy was more organized like it is now when I was in school. I wish I'd spent more time getting fluent in the big picture stuff that the MCAT focuses on in orgo instead of getting lost in the weeds with mechanisms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk