How to print address labels for applications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yogi Bear

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to print address labels for schools I plan to apply to? I'd like to copy/paste the address from aamc's website into one of the sheet of avery address labels and print it out to save time rather than typing/writing by hand all the addresses.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you can do it from Word, but this really isn't necessary....spend your time now getting some secondaries done! :wink:

On a similar topic, I recommend using resume paper when submitting extra essays, etc. I regret not doing this, cuz my printing paper was flimsy....

And invest in a typewriter...most schools have one available for student use :wink:

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Doctora Foxy:
•I think you can do it from Word, but this really isn't necessary....spend your time now getting some secondaries done! :wink:

On a similar topic, I recommend using resume paper when submitting extra essays, etc. I regret not doing this, cuz my printing paper was flimsy....

And invest in a typewriter...most schools have one available for student use :wink: •••••thing is my undergrad school wants us to include pre-addressed envelopes to med schools that we want our recommendations sent to. as a result, i would have like an easier way to write addresses on those envelopes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Boy, your school certainly doesn't help you out much!! My school had a letter service, and just sent out the letters as I needed them sent.

But to answer your question. My printer prints envelopes. I use wordperfect, and just go into format and choose envelope. But it's almost more trouble than it's worth. However, once you've got all those adresses entered into the address book, it does make corresponding with them later easier. I think the address label idea might work pretty well, just make sure to remember to put your school as the return address, not yourself, as the letters are supposed to be confidential. In wordperfect you do labels by going into format and choosing labels.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Yogi Bear:
•Does anyone know how to print address labels for schools I plan to apply to? I'd like to copy/paste the address from aamc's website into one of the sheet of avery address labels and print it out to save time rather than typing/writing by hand all the addresses.•••••you can with microsoft word, but it's a freaking hassle if you want multiple addresses on one sheet.
in microsoft word:
>Tools
>Envelopes and Labels
>Labels (tab)
>Options
select what labels you have. the number should be on the label packaging.

you only have the options of doing a full page of the same address, or one at a time. blah.
what school would make you do this? good luck.

mail merge! mail merge! it sucks to set up, but once you have it set up you can just print 6 or 8 of each of the folks you will be corresponding to all on the same page(s). in word,
tools
mail merge
create
mailing labels
active window
get data
create data source
click the "remove" button until you get rid of everything except what you want (the simpler the better, i.e. name, address 1, address 2, address 3 instead of all of the complexities--basically you will need to have enough topics for the necessary lines of the addresses that you need.. for this example i would get 4 lines to do with what i pleased)
save it as something
edit data source
fill in the lines then hit add new; repeat as necessary for different addys and multiple labels
press ok when you are all done
at the top (in main document), hit edit
fix up the layout how you need it (# on the label box)
hit merge
you should now have a whole page of beautiful labels in front of you.

viola!

Two words: Avery Labels

They are much easier than trying to feed the envelopes in to the printer. You can find them at most any office supply place (Office Depot, Staples, whatever). They were a lifesaver for me.

If get Avery labels, they have free software on their website that will allow you to format any of their labels (you enter the product number) and you can print a whole page of either the same or different labels at once. Very useful software, but requires microsoft word.

if you are going to use avery labels, here is a link for the software: <a href="http://www.avery.com/software/index.jsp" target="_blank">http://www.avery.com/software/index.jsp</a>

i got some of that software. it works really well.

When i was printing my own address labels out it seemed i was spending more time messing around with the printer than printing labels. In the end i decided to give up on the DIY approach and i found a british labels company to print my address labels out instead, saved me so much hassle.

When i was printing my own address labels out it seemed i was spending more time messing around with the printer than printing labels. In the end i decided to give up on the DIY approach and i found a british labels company to print my address labels out instead, saved me so much hassle.

Good god, you're reviving a 6 year old thread for your first post. Most people use interfolio or another letter service anyway. So this point is almost moot. Besides, mail merges ftw/ get avery labels and follow the instructions.