How to prove that a DO LOR was written by an ACTUAL physician?

reese07

10+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm new to Interfolio and during the beginning of requesting a LOR from my DO, I began to wonder how does this give schools proof that the LOR was actually written by a physician and not some random person? Like it seems like it's easy for someone to fake a DO LOR through Interfolio. Sorry, but this has just been bothering me...

Biology101

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2008
Status
I'm new to Interfolio and during the beginning of requesting a LOR from my DO, I began to wonder how does this give schools proof that the LOR was actually written by a physician and not some random person? Like it seems like it's easy for someone to fake a DO LOR through Interfolio. Sorry, but this has just been bothering me...

Because it says D.O. after their last name...

Bacchus

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Your physician uploads or sends the letter in on official letterhead. A school isn't going to read/put any weight on a letter that doesn't come on letterhead.

Tekar

Finally at peace
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2008
Carson City NV
Status
Resident [Any Field]
But can't someone just put "DO" after their name?
Yes, just like someone can make a really elaborate transcript on photoshop...Yes, people can fabricate glorious letters of recommendation on behalf of themselves and attach a random DO in their area's name, but really...

let it go...

Morsetlis

I wish I were a dentist
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2010
The "Garden" State
Status
Resident [Any Field]
One of my physicians doesn't even have an office... I guess his Letterhead is gonna be designed in Word, lol.

bellakk

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2009
Status
Medical Student

Just like the IRS randomly audits people, schools randomly contact letter writers to see if they're legit. The schools can also look up names in the state the physician claims to be board certified to see if they're legit.

DocEspana

Bullish
7+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2010
Miami
Status
Attending Physician

just one

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2009
Edmond, Oklahoma
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Just like the IRS randomly audits people, schools randomly contact letter writers to see if they're legit. The schools can also look up names in the state the physician claims to be board certified to see if they're legit.
Change board certified to liscensed and you could be correct. Physicians are not required to be board certified. Just like most people on this forum call the liscensing exams the "boards"