How to prove yourself?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WSUCougar2012

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a new user and first-time poster.

The question I have involves proving yourself at institutions that are large, but in a rural area.

It's ranked in the top 120 (118, to be exact) and it's not in the busiest of cities. What can I do to prove to medical schools that I can be one of the best students, even though I went to a low ranked undergrad school?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

The question I have involves proving yourself at institutions that are large, but in a rural area.

It's ranked in the top 120 (118, to be exact) and it's not in the busiest of cities. What can I do to prove to medical schools that I can be one of the best students, even though I went to a low ranked undergrad school?

Thanks.
Most people will probably say MCAT and GPA, but I actually think this is where the LORs mean a great deal. If your letter writers rank you as one of the brightest students they've ever come across, then adcoms will take that into great consideration.

Also, scholarships, grants, awards, conferences, presentations and so forth help quite a bit.

Thank you for your response.

Do you have any tips on how I could get out of my comfort zone and approach the professors? What can I do to "impress" the professors so I can get one of the best LOR?

Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Flaahless. I was in a similar situation as you but did pretty well in the cycle. I think my LOR's, activities, and MCAT really helped me to stand out to the Adcomms. feel free to PM me if you have any direct questions.

Hello,

Thanks.

cure cancer, duh!

What can I do to prove to medical schools that I can be one of the best students, even though I went to a low ranked undergrad school?
Simple, pretend as if it doesn't matter, because it really doesn't. Provided you have the metrics.

go huskies :smuggrin:

remember, MCAT is standardized so that's your golden opportunity. I don't see how LORs and all that jazz can prove you have what it takes. I wouldn't count on a professor's LOR, you have to study hard.

Thank you for your response.

Do you have any tips on how I could get out of my comfort zone and approach the professors? What can I do to "impress" the professors so I can get one of the best LOR?

Thanks again.

Ask them a question after class- email if you're shy.

Just talk to them.

I think it's less about pressuring yourself to impress a professor (this is where many premeds appear too eager and uptight). It's more so about being yourself and getting to know the professor and vice versa.

Go to office hours with a few questions about the lecture. It can be for clarification for example. Then hopefully they'll ask about you (your name, major, etc.). Think of a few simple questions beforehand to ask the professor if there aren't a million other students waiting in line. Try looking them up online beforehand to see if they do any research that you can ask about, maybe ask how they knew they wanted to teach [insert subject], or ask their advice about other courses in that department they'd recommend, etc etc. These are just starting points if you don't know much about the professor. People generally like to talk about themselves.