How to quit volunteer research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xanthomondo

nom nom nom
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hate my current research position, i got here because i emailed the guy and asked if i could spend the summer here, without pay.

What ended up happening was that i have absolutely nothing to do...because i guess he doesnt think he needs to "get his moneys worth"..i come in everyday and sit around...and read sdn...its been like a month and a half now, and i told him id be here til september

So whats the policy on quitting? should i give two weeks? and what should i say?

im not really interested in receiving work at this point, im kind of turned off to the whole situation

Members don't see this ad.

that sucks. before you quit, though, i'd make sure i have another job sealed. ofcourse it'd be best to get something out of your research experience.. but sitting around on a computer and having an entire summer on paper looks better than working for like 1.5 months and then quitting to do nothing.

if i were you i'd just say hey i feel like i have nothing to do around here so if you've got no real work to give me i think i'm gonna stop comin, punk. :thumbup:

taylormade44 said:
I hate my current research position, i got here because i emailed the guy and asked if i could spend the summer here, without pay.

What ended up happening was that i have absolutely nothing to do...because i guess he doesnt think he needs to "get his moneys worth"..i come in everyday and sit around...and read sdn...its been like a month and a half now, and i told him id be here til september

So whats the policy on quitting? should i give two weeks? and what should i say?

im not really interested in receiving work at this point, im kind of turned off to the whole situation

You have a few options. Before quitting, I would suggest that you try talking to your doc and asking him if there is a project that you can work proactively on. For example, if you could do a literature review on a medical topic with his supervision. Clarify what his goals are for the summer and how you can assist him best. Try a positive attitude.

I understand your frustration. I had a horrible experience in my junior year when I volunteered on Capitol Hill for free. Alternatively, you can look to others in the department. Do they have projects that they need assistance on? Find some residents who want to publish and work with them.

Members don't see this ad :)
taylormade44 said:

my gf went thru the EXACT same thing during her intersession break. She ended up staying at the same hospital and volunteered in another department. She said in research she had nothign to do, because they had almost nothing to do and they didn't speak English so there was a HUGE communication problem. She used to read her MCAT book.

I assume if you legitimately signed up as a volunteer you went thru the hospital's volunteer services. Contact them and see if you can be re-assigned. Good luck; I know it sucks.

Well you can try to talk to him about what your expectations were and see what he has to say. Then if that doesn't get anywhere then it really opens the door to say you would rather not be there. I don't think there is any sort of two weeks notice policy, especially with summer research. Good luck...

vtucci said:
You have a few options. Before quitting, I would suggest that you try talking to your doc and asking him if there is a project that you can work proactively on. For example, if you could do a literature review on a medical topic with his supervision. Clarify what his goals are for the summer and how you can assist him best. Try a positive attitude.

I understand your frustration. I had a horrible experience in my junior year when I volunteered on Capitol Hill for free. Alternatively, you can look to others in the department. Do they have projects that they need assistance on? Find some residents who want to publish and work with them.

I agree, offer your services, ask if you can do projects. You might have to start with scut work, but eventually you'll probably be able to do more interesting things. Initiative is never a bad quality to practice.

Now if this fails (repeatedly). I would give at least 2 weeks notice just for common courtesy, and I'd try to have something else lined up (as previously mentioned)

i think the whole point of the 2 weeks notice is so the boss can figure all the crap out as to what to do when you're gone (e.g. finding a replacement, shifting amount of work given to certain people etc.) if you're doing nothing, i'm sure 2 weeks notice is not necessary :)

Robizzle said:
i think the whole point of the 2 weeks notice is so the boss can figure all the crap out as to what to do when you're gone (e.g. finding a replacement, shifting amount of work given to certain people etc.) if you're doing nothing, i'm sure 2 weeks notice is not necessary :)
Not necessary, but polite.

"It's common courtesy!" ~Cobra Commander

Haha thanks for all of the replys

i do have another research thing lined up, a teacher at my undergrad school wants me to start working on my senior thesis, which i will get paid for

i took one day off to do orientation with her and i learned more in that single day than in the entire 100 days here

is it ok just to say "its not working out the way i expected id like to quit?"

is there any better way of saying that? lol

Depakote said:
Not necessary, but polite.

"It's common courtesy!" ~Cobra Commander

true that :thumbup:

taylormade44 said:

i do have another research thing lined up, a teacher at my undergrad school wants me to start working on my senior thesis, which i will get paid for

i took one day off to do orientation with her and i learned more in that single day than in the entire 100 days here

I would tell him a better opportunity came along. You just found out that you can begin your senior thesis immediately, mention that it pays. Offer to stay the 2 weeks to close out (he'll likely decline). And you're clear.

Most people understand the Poor Undergrad Angle...

That's my recommendation.

Robizzle said:
that sucks. before you quit, though, i'd make sure i have another job sealed. ofcourse it'd be best to get something out of your research experience.. but sitting around on a computer and having an entire summer on paper looks better than working for like 1.5 months and then quitting to do nothing.

if i were you i'd just say hey i feel like i have nothing to do around here so if you've got no real work to give me i think i'm gonna stop comin, punk. :thumbup:

Not to be critical or sarcastic but somehow the idea of being overly formal or making sure you have something else lined up when you're not being paid much less even utilized is hilarious....to me anyway.

Before you quit, DEFINITELY ask if there is something specific that you can work on for the rest of the time there. Since you have already been going for a month and a half, you probably at least know know your way around know the other people, so you might as well try to get something accomplished with your time before you just jump ship to start something from ground zero again.

taylormade44 said:

Oh, I just read the rest of the thread. I would just tell him the what you said above (in bold).