How to quit your job...if you might not make it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

novawildcat

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the MCAT and scored a little lower than I wanted-28R. I graduated with a 3.7 and 3.82 BCPM, but I am worried that I won't be accepted with that low of a MCAT score. The horrible fact is that a lot of med schools want a letter from a supervisor if you have worked full time for more than a year. It would be terrible if I have to tell my supervisor that I want to go to med school, will have to obviously quit, and on top of that ask him to write a LOR. What would even be worse is what would happen if I don't be accepted? They would probably want to lay me off and hire someone who actually wants to do my job for a living permanently. Has anyone else had this predicament?

Members don't see this ad.

I might be in a similar situation although I'm still working part-time. At one point, I hated my job so bad that I just wanted to leave but I decided not to burn the bridge. Instead, I asked my boss to reduce my work hours and I returned the favor by working some odd hours. I can at least work there during summer when i don't have school. I also realized i couldn't study for longer than 8 hours, so it was nice to have some changes during the day.

Would your boss let you work part-time like 20 hrs week?

You might want to consider this option, if you are planning to get a LOR from your boss.

I took the MCAT and scored a little lower than I wanted-28R. I graduated with a 3.7 and 3.82 BCPM, but I am worried that I won't be accepted with that low of a MCAT score. The horrible fact is that a lot of med schools want a letter from a supervisor if you have worked full time for more than a year. It would be terrible if I have to tell my supervisor that I want to go to med school, will have to obviously quit, and on top of that ask him to write a LOR. What would even be worse is what would happen if I don't be accepted? They would probably want to lay me off and hire someone who actually wants to do my job for a living permanently. Has anyone else had this predicament?

Wow! where to begin. I am an MSII and went through app process in 04. I don't remember ever submitting a LOR from my supervisor for med school. The app process was a blur though so I could have just forgotten. My boss worked with me in everyway that he could while I was in undergrad knowing that I was going to med school. That's the kind of boss you want. If you are worried about your boss now you want to get out of there regardless if you get in med school or not. As far as your MCAT, I had a friend matriculate at Carolina with a 28. Make sure you are applying to school with similar averages to what you have because you seem competitive. In other words, don't apply to Harvard. Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
"...What would even be worse is what would happen if I don't be accepted? They would probably want to lay me off and hire someone who actually wants to do my job for a living permanently. Has anyone else had this predicament?..."

The above as you said is actually normal. Bosses that are very accomandating and work with you are rare. After all, why would any one help out her/his employees to leave the company?

Certain job posts are more used to seeing people taking other paths: book store clerk, hospital administration work, construction... But if you are working on a demanding job that has a clear career path (ex. engineer), it's better not to tell at all. You bet when lay off comes, you are the first one to go. Even if your manager doesn't want to, she/he will be held accountable for not letting go someone who clearly wants to leave. Raises/bonus... they are all at risk. Remember it's because you said you wanted to leave, not really their fault.

"...What would even be worse is what would happen if I don't be accepted? They would probably want to lay me off and hire someone who actually wants to do my job for a living permanently. Has anyone else had this predicament?..."

The above as you said is actually normal. Bosses that are very accomandating and work with you are rare. After all, why would any one help out her/his employees to leave the company?

But if you are working on a demanding job that has a clear career path (ex. engineer), it's better not to tell at all. You bet when lay off comes, you are the first one to go.

That's the catch 22 I am stuck in. Some med schools require LOR from a work supervisor if you have been there for more than a year. But, when I tell my supervisor that I wish to apply to med school and ask for LOR I will probably be instantaneously put into the cross hairs for termination. Assuming I don't get in this cycle, with the amount of bills I have to pay, losing my job would absolutely be disastrous. Do med schools really want people to put their careers on the line before they even know that they would be accepted/rejected into med school? That seems kind of outrageous to me--you gotta still be able to put food on the table and keep a roof over head in case you don't get in. If I called the admissions office, do you think that they would understand or should I just bite the bullet, wait another year before applying, and try to take the MCAT again and hope to hit a home run?

just curious, how bad of a relationship do you have with your boss(es), both bosses I had before going post bac have already told me they'd write great letters for me. But it was also one of the hardest things i did, leaving a job I was content at, and a supervisor that was more than accomodating for me.

Some med schools require an LOR from a work supervisor if you have been there for more than a year.

Which schools? I've never heard of this.

None of the schools I checked out required letters from bosses. At the time I applied, I had worked at my job for over 2 yrs, and I didn't get a letter from my boss-- partially b/c I was too lazy to ask for it, but also b/c I had plenty of other more relevent LORs. Anyway... I had 2 acceptances and 1 waitlist, and no one ever questioned why I didn't have a letter from work. Where did you get the info that a certain school absolutely requires (not just recommends) a letter from work? Even if it says on the school's website or whatever, you may want to call and ask the question to admissions at that school-- sometimes things that are said/rumored to be required are not in actuality.

Yeah, that's a new one on me. Certainly not something I had to do.

I definitely gave letters from my supervisors but am not sure if it was required or just suggested by schools. At any rate, quitting to do a career change is a lot like stepping off a cliff -- you are never really going to feel comfortable about it until you land. My suggestion is that you probably should just suck it up and explain to your employers what your plan is. Many will be supportive, particularly if you give them ample notice and offer to help find/train your replacement and so in a subsequent conversation you can get the LOR. (That's about how I did it). Many will think you are crazy. But since going back to school is a far cry from going to work for a competitor, lots of places won't hold a grudge, and will actually wish you well.

Granted, I quit my job a year ago, but I have yet to see any schools that require a letter from a boss or former boss, and I'm applying this summer. I have heard of a few schools that will require a letter from a prof from your previous grad degree (MCW, Penn State), but none from your boss. HOWEVER, I do know of nontrads who had been out of school for a long time and rather than submitting a non-science prof letter from undergrad, instead submitted an LOR from their employer. From what I've heard, it's common for med schools to let non-trads do that. But I haven't heard of any that require it. As for me, I'm submitting 2 from recent science profs from my post-bacc, and two clinical LORs from places I volunteered at. And I have a committee letter from my post-bacc school.

And I believe thta it all depends on your industry/job as to how it will go when you tell them your plans. My gut is not to do so until you have to. Especially if you have a difficult boss.

Anyway, if you have actually confirmed which schools REQUIRE a letter from a boss please post back and let us know. Good luck.

HOWEVER, I do know of nontrads who had been out of school for a long time and rather than submitting a non-science prof letter from undergrad, instead submitted an LOR from their employer. From what I've heard, it's common for med schools to let non-trads do that.

Not common at all. Most nontrads give letters from profs AS WELL AS often career related letters. In general schools will allow (or expect) nontrads to provide more LORs than the typical traditional student (I think I had 7). But you generally still have to get academic LORs TOO (part of the reason lots of people take some more current postbac classes if they've been out a while). I've not seen many, if any, med schools who don't want to see academic LORs, so I suspect it's quite rare not to still require those.

I was sort of in the same boat as you. I spoke to my supervisor about the whole situation and she was very understanding. I gave them PLENTY of notice before I left (I think they knew a month and a half ahead of time). Like you, I was afraid that there would be negative attitudes towards me, but everyone was really supportive of my decision. Maybe you should just tell your boss, they might be more understanding then you think. :)

Not common at all. Most nontrads give letters from profs AS WELL AS often career related letters. In general schools will allow (or expect) nontrads to provide more LORs than the typical traditional student (I think I had 7). But you generally still have to get academic LORs TOO (part of the reason lots of people take some more current postbac classes if they've been out a while). I've not seen many, if any, med schools who don't want to see academic LORs, so I suspect it's quite rare not to still require those.
I think phoenix is just talking about non-science letters, not all letters. In my case, I was certainly able to substitute my nonscience letters with employer letters; I had no letters from non-science faculty. But I agree that applicants probably need to have letters from science profs (grad school, post bacc, or undergrad).

I think phoenix is just talking about non-science letters, not all letters. In my case, I was certainly able to substitute my nonscience letters with employer letters; I had no letters from non-science faculty. But I agree that applicants probably need to have letters from science profs (grad school, post bacc, or undergrad).

My bad. Reading comprehension isn't what it used to be.

Sorry to say it is a catch 22, but that is the risks one takes in life. Particularly with this type of career change. IMHO I personally think its better to quit the job, esp if you have the means to, since it shows a very strong committment to this profession. A fact, I would certainly note in your PS about how serious you are and stress how difficult move it is for you.

As for the letter of recommendation, as long as you are a good employee where you are now and have a good rapport with your supervisor, then why should there be any concern about the LOR from him/her? I did use a past supervisor's LOR for my non-scienec LOR and there were no issues at all with getting one. I would suggest talking to your supervisor and explaining what goes into a good LOR and use the forms associated with your Post bacc/undergrad institution. He/She may not know exactly how to write or the qualificaitons for med school. Would help in what content they should include.

On another note, with the 28R I would recommend also retaking the MCAT and use the time that you'd be at work to focus more on the MCAT to improve that score.

U of Washington and OHSU both highly suggest so (letter from employer if you've been working), not sure if they would really insist if I wanted to get away with not doing it. I lucked out since by the time I needed the letter, my boss had just moved to another far away position, so I didn't have to spill any to my group.

You have to judge your own unique situation. My company often walks people out the day they quit, even if the quitee is actually giving advanced notice (2 weeks or more). The unused vacation time will only worth half when people leave. That has enticed many to take a long vacation and come back quit on the dot.

You can ask schools if they allow you to use other letters. Especially if you don't think the employer letter will be strong any way. A mediocore letter doesn't do you any good, and you take a risk at work for that.

There are definitely work places that are more friendly (toward career-change leavees) than mine, just have to see what your case is.

Some examples of med schools that require a LOR from a work supervisor:

Penn State:

In either case, no additional letters are required, UNLESS:

1. You have multiple degrees. If this is true, you must submit one letter from each of the institutions that has granted you any of the following degrees:

* Associate
* Bachelor
* Master
* Doctorate

2. You have one year or more of graduate study or full time employment. If this is true, you are required to submit one additional letter of recommendation from a member of the graduate faculty or work supervisor.

U of MD only "strongly recommends" it, but it is basically required if you read through the BS:

If I have a significant employment history should I submit a letter of recommendation from my employer or supervisor?
Yes. It is strongly encouraged that you submit a letter of recommendation from each important component of your previous academic or work experience.

I thought I read on Jeffereson's website that they too require a LOR from an employer if you have been there for over a year. I can't find it now though because their website isn't working.

Overall, I have an excellent relationship with my employer. The thing is, in the field of work that I am doing, competition is extremely fierce for a position like what I have. I know some people who got layed off at other companies doing what I do and have been searching for jobs for over 6 months to a year because there are so many qualified individuals out there all vying for the same job. I feel like if I ask my boss for a LOR this summer, I will be let go in the late summer or early fall so that the 100s of other people out there who are actually looking for permanent work in what I do would be hired. Assuming that I get in somewhere, that would leave me with like a 6-10 month gap with $0 income. If i don't get accepted, that would be even worse. I would have $0 income and no acceptance to a school. That is really a risk I am not willing to accept. I need to fall back on my job or something else if I don't get into med school.