How to raise my step 1 Score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ferrar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey i am not particularly new to this forum but i would just like some advice on raising my step 1 score. I tried everything Kaplan, Goligan, DIT, Uworld countless times, Qbanks. I am just fed up but i am still open to change. I will get there i can feel it but i need help.

Members don't see this ad.

We need a little more background to give you the best advice.
How long have you been studying for step1?
What are your scores on practice exams and Qbank percentages?

I have been studying for step 1 a little over a year now.
  1. I attend a Offshore Medical School - I need to complete the steps so i can start my Clinical Rotations
  2. My practise score on uworld is 62% after countless months of prep
  3. I follow the Kaplan prep course & most of the stuff in this forum
  4. My NBME score range from 169 - 197
  5. My study schedule
    1. Start at 7:30 & i go till 5
  6. I need to figure out what i am doing wrong. I am willing to try.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some additional questions to get more insight into your studying -
How are you structuring your time during your 7:30-5 day - like what proportion of time is spent on Qbank and FA and Kaplan? Have you tried Pathoma? Have you noticed a trend in the types of questions you get wrong (i.e. physiology, pathology, pharm…?) Also, how are you using the Qbanks - do you take notes on your right and wrong answers, just review your wrong answers, or what?

You might benefit from a Genuine Study Partner (preferable someone you already know and trust) who can observe your learning style and suggest accordingly.

I have been studying for step 1 a little over a year now.
  1. My study schedule
    1. Start at 7:30 & i go till 5

This is not a study strategy. All you told us is when you start and stop. It's as if you asked a patient "Describe your heart problems to me." and they just said, "They started yesterday and are still going."

Give us the full story if you actually want help. What are you doing? What are you studying? Questions? Books? Crystal ball?

We can't help you without more information.

Reactions: 1 users
Well I ll give you mine so you guys tell me if I can make it 220 by November 10 (my deadline):
(IMG)

1- Did uWORLD (Cummulative, timed by Systems got 45%) + FA + 80% Pathoma + Some Kaplan Physiology Videos + Some BRS Path and Phy help (2.5months)

2- NMBE7 170 (Reviewed it and I made many stupid mistakes... I scored 120 out the 200)

3- Now Doing Kaplan (I am 30% trough the bank Cumulative 60%) + FA + 1 hr of Gojian Audio a day

4- 1st round I had reading days and block days (never did more than one block a day)

5- Now I am doing 3 blocks a day of Kaplan (I start from 9:00am to 10:00pm with 2 hours break; 10 to 11 hours a day)

6- I read FA in the mornings 1 hr and 1 hr at night everything else is dedicated time to the bank

7- Next I going to do Simulations of 4 blocks random timed of Rx for 10 days before NMBE 11

8- I bought all the the NBMEs, 2 UWAs and 2 Kaplan Simulations

I am 12 weeks out, If I keep this pace is it possible a 220 ?

(I know my NMBE7 was low but it was my 1st NBME, was very nervous and didn't had the stamina for 200 questions)

Last edited:
Well I ll give you mine so you guys tell me if I can make it 220 by November 10 (my deadline):
(IMG)

1- Did uWORLD (Cummulative, timed by Systems got 45%) + FA + 80% Pathoma + Some Kaplan Physiology Videos + Some BRS Path and Phy help (2.5months)

2- NMBE7 170 (Reviewed it and I made many stupid mistakes... I scored 120 out the 200)

3- Now Doing Kaplan (I am 30% trough the bank Cumulative 60%) + FA + 1 hr of Gojian Audio a day

4- 1st round I had reading days and block days (never did more than one block a day)

5- Now I am doing 3 blocks a day of Kaplan (I start from 9:00am to 10:00pm with 2 hours break; 10 to 11 hours a day)

6- I read FA in the mornings 1 hr and 1 hr at night everything else is dedicated time to the bank

7- Next I going to do Simulations of 4 blocks random timed of Rx for 10 days before NMBE 11

8- I bought all the the NBMEs, 2 UWAs and 2 Kaplan Simulations

I am 12 weeks out, If I keep this pace is it possible a 220 ?

(I know my NMBE7 was low but it was my 1st NBME, was very nervous and didn't had the stamina for 200 questions)
12 weeks is more than double what most people take to study for it so..... yeah I'd think you're fine.

Reactions: 1 user