Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2006
California
Status
Attending Physician
What a nice gig the NBME has going.
Look at page 9 of this pdf.
http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocuments//2008/231/352/2008-231352238-0538600b-9.pdf
They are raking in over 77 million bucks a year from med students.
I bet they will be raking a lot more in with all the new schools and enrollment increases.
Do you think they would even consider lowering their fees? I doubt it when they can continue to extract money from all the "rich" med students.

Last edited:

thesauce

10+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
What a nice gig the NBME has going.
Look at page 9 of this pdf.
http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocuments//2008/231/352/2008-231352238-0538600b-9.pdf
They are raking in over 77 million bucks a year from med students.
I bet they will be raking a lot more in with all the new schools and enrollment increases.
Do you think they would even consider lowering their fees? I doubt it when they can continue to extract money from all the "rich" med students.
Step 2cs alone is 30-40mil/yr will all centers running at full capacity.

Raryn

Infernal Internist / Enigmatic Endocrinologist
10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
Step 2cs alone is 30-40mil/yr will all centers running at full capacity.
There's really no reason US MDs should have to take 2CS. The test was developed to basically make sure foreign grads could speak English for God's sake!

Sep 22, 2009
Status
Medical Student
They actually lost money this year. Their expenses are more than their revenues. Page 1.

exPCM

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2006
California
Status
Attending Physician
They actually lost money this year. Their expenses are more than their revenues. Page 1.
Yes. So you think they should raise the exam fees again so they can pay themselves even higher salaries?

vasca

En la era postpasambre
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2008
Chilangolandia nuevamente
Status
There's really no reason US MDs should have to take 2CS. The test was developed to basically make sure foreign grads could speak English for God's sake!
There's a lot of FMG's that are english native speakers (Australians, British, South Africans, New Zealanders, etc..). Some people have terrible patient contact skills though so I think while the exam is insanely expensive for an IMG or FMG because they have to forcibly travel to the US just to do it, I don't find it to be a complete waste of time. However, I'd rather use those 400 bucks on plane tickets to go to Playa del Carmen instead AND save the 1200 bucks just to be able to do the CS exam to buy clothing or save it for something else. :cool:

Mexico doesn't have in any school that I know of (except perhaps the Guadalajara school that follows a US curricula) an equivalent exam to the CS to graduate.

Sep 22, 2009
Status
Medical Student
With that money, the least they can do is find a different company that would provide testing centers that have something better than garbage 10 year old computers and crummy CRT monitors with 640x480 resolution and <60hz refresh rate.
I don't know which centers they use (haven't taken the boards yet) but the center where I took the MCAT sucked. The monitors just blew.

Raryn

10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
With that money, the least they can do is find a different company that would provide testing centers that have something better than garbage 10 year old computers and crummy CRT monitors with 640x480 resolution and <60hz refresh rate.
I just hope that wherever I take the exam has better systems than my schools computer lab. The monitors are all right, but when we take exams they put these ridiculously bad privacy screens on all of them that have waterstains or air bubbles or something all over the place. Practically gives me a headache after a 2 hour exam staring at those, I can't imagine taking an 8 hour one.

aw buddy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I just hope that wherever I take the exam has better systems than my schools computer lab. The monitors are all right, but when we take exams they put these ridiculously bad privacy screens on all of them that have waterstains or air bubbles or something all over the place. Practically gives me a headache after a 2 hour exam staring at those, I can't imagine taking an 8 hour one.
Prometric is a pretty nice place. I wouldn't worry about it.

But I agree that Step 2 CS is a total scam for American med students. Utter waste of my time. The NBME entrusts my school to train me to become a doctor, but they don't trust them to administer a test? We had an end-of-the-year OSCE after M3 that was cumulative and basically was Step 2 CS that we all had to take. That should have been sufficient.

greg1184

10+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I don't know which centers they use (haven't taken the boards yet) but the center where I took the MCAT sucked. The monitors just blew.
They use Prometric, the same company the MCAT uses. My testing center was in a pretty fancy building, but the computers were horrendous. They used old HP Pavillion PC's. Each time I would go to another passage, the hard drive would crank away taking 5 seconds to load the passage. And, as I said, the flicker of the CRT monitors was terrible. It is as if the computers were in Safe Mode. Hopefully in a couple of years things have changed.

Dr Oops

10+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2009
Status
Medical Student
seems fishy though, the prior year they had 15 mill profit, then the next year they are in the red?

Raryn

10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
seems fishy though, the prior year they had 15 mill profit, then the next year they are in the red?
Bad economy? Looking at line 10, their investment income went down by a factor of 3.

badasshairday

Vascular and Interventional Radiology
10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
The monitors are all right, but when we take exams they put these ridiculously bad privacy screens on all of them that have waterstains or air bubbles or something all over the place. Practically gives me a headache after a 2 hour exam staring at those, I can't imagine taking an 8 hour one.
I hate that!