How to rank Prelim

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sushichopstickz

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is relatively simple question. I've already matched for my advance (early match) and I would like to rank the prelim programs I interviewed for my primary rank list. I think I did it correctly, but wanted to double check since I'm not too familiar with the NRMP system.

To rank the prelim programs, I:
1) selected "internal medicine" under specialty
2) selected "preliminary" for program type
3) verified the program code.
4) then I went ahead an ordered the programs according to my preference.

Is this the correct way to do it?

Secondly, I've matched into ophthalmology and saw a pull-down option for "ophthalmology" under specialty. Do I have to do anything with this? I'm assuming not, since the match was done under SF Match.

Thanks everyone! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Weird question, would someone who matched into Ophtho, then matched into a prelim spot have access to the list of unfilled advanced positions in SOAP?

Sounds like you've done it correctly. All of the codes you've ranked should end in "P" and a number.

Weird question, would someone who matched into Ophtho, then matched into a prelim spot have access to the list of unfilled advanced positions in SOAP?

This all used to be explained on the NRMP website, but I can't find it anymore. I believe that if you rank only prelim programs and match to one, that the NRMP assumes that you are fully matched, and hence cannot participate in SOAP. I am not completely certain of this, though.

Sounds like you've done it correctly. All of the codes you've ranked should end in "P" and a number.

This all used to be explained on the NRMP website, but I can't find it anymore. I believe that if you rank only prelim programs and match to one, that the NRMP assumes that you are fully matched, and hence cannot participate in SOAP. I am not completely certain of this, though.
See this is all I could find on their site:
3. Congratulations, you have matched to a one year position!

This message will be displayed for any applicant who

• matched to a PGY-1 preliminary position.
Applicants who receive this message and who are deemed eligible to enter GME education on July 1 in the year of the Main Residency Match will have access to the List of Unfilled Programs and will be eligible to participate in SOAP to obtain an advanced position, if needed.

Question is would someone with a previous match be considered as having already matched? The "if needed" portion makes me thing it can't tell, but that's probably something the NRMP folks would have to answer.

Can you post a link to that page? I hunted around and couldn't find it.

EDIT: Nevermind. I googled the text and found it easily.

I agree with you. It looks like if you apply to only prelims, you will get access to the advanced SOAP list. SOAPing into anything would be a violation, since you are already committed via another match.