adizz mfresh

not set up to mold rubber
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2008
CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
What about the interview or time at the campus that made one better than another? If you got accepted off all your interviews, what goes into the choice?

RySerr21

i aint kinda hot Im sauna
10+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
you can learn a lot about the school you didnt know before, sepcifcs about the curriculum, new projects on campus (are they building anythign new?), or things like that. One of the most important things for me is my feelnig regarding the students and the other applicants I am with. If I get a good vibe, feel that the students are happy with their education, enviornment, etc. and I get along with the other people that are interviewing (ie my future classmates), then I am giong to think positively about the school. You can also evalulate the facilities, the surrounding area, and other things like that that may be important to you. What if the schools ina location that you really dont see yourself living in? So yea, I'm most interested in the people.

majahops

YOU are great.
10+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
!) Cost. If I get into a school that is > $10,000/yr cheaper than the others, I am going there, without further contemplation.

2) The People. If I've learned anything over the interview season, it's been that each school attracts/seeks-out a specific type of person... so you end up with classes of pretty like-minded people - different in demographic, but similar in disposition (with those exceptions that the ADCOMS misjudged and accepted erroneously)... If I get the feeling that "these are my kind of people" (like I did at Jefferson, thank god), then that's the most important consideration (after #1, of course).

3) The Location. Are there things to do in the IMMEDIATE area? I don't want to have to travel 25+ minutes to get to a bar where me and my people can just chillax... because I probably won't have that kind of time in medical school. So I gotta have stuff to do and it's gotta be around the corner.

About the Ads

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
2) The People. If I've learned anything over the interview season, it's been that each school attracts/seeks-out a specific type of person... so you end up with classes of pretty like-minded people - different in demographic, but similar in disposition (with those exceptions that the ADCOMS misjudged and accepted erroneously)... If I get the feeling that "these are my kind of people" (like I did at Jefferson, thank god), then that's the most important consideration (after #1, of course).

I'd be a little careful of that. The folks who volunteer to help out on interview day may not be particularly representative of the student body. A school can always find a few people who love the school, particularly if there's a free meal involved. Also you can get a totally different vibe if you see folks the day before a big test vs after. So unless you have inside info (a friend at the school), I'd actually take some of this "people" analysis with a grain of salt.

RSAgator

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2006
Status (Visible)
As law2doc said, sometimes you just can't tell how the people are going to be at a school. One of my interviews stressed how cool and cooperative everyone is, and how even though they have grades they all help each other and send things over their list serve bla bla bla. I told a friend of mine who goes to said med school about this and he flat out laughed in my face saying that was all a load of bull. So, as L2D says, be careful not to take the people you meet on interview day as representative of the student body (both the people that impressed you and the people you got a negative opinion of).

For me money, curriculum (particularly pass fail) and location are the three most important things. Location becomes less of an issue because all the places I interviewed at were in good locations, so for the most part it comes down to the first two things.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.