How to remember "what you did when" - when it was 10 years ago? And get it 100% right.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gauss44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure I'm NOT the ONLY ONE who could use help remembering the exact dates I started and stopped: working jobs, participating in various extracurriculars, etc.

Do YOU have any tips for getting this sort of information right on your medical school application?

Me: I plan to call the IRS to confirm my dates of employment. (I think I have them accurate anyway, but want to be 100% certain given the rules of AMCAS.) For school clubs and professional organizations, I plan first check their websites, then (if no answer there) tactfully email those clubs, their faculty adviser, the department, and the organization (each separately) to find out if they kept records (I suspect that membership in official professional organizations and leadership positions like club President, might have records.). For hardships, I will make a separate list and keep track of what I did to confirm dates.

Members don't see this ad.

I did a lot of creative rounding, left the months off of several activities (reporting years only), and listed myself as the contact for about half of my ECs. I still got in.

I doubt the specific months of something that happened 10 years ago is all that relevant to your application. Focus on the goal, and on recent accomplishments.

It doesn't actually have to be perfect. I did the best I could and was conservative in my estimates when I couldn't remember exact hours. They don't fact-check your entire application. Pretty sure they don't fact-check anything unless there's reason to be suspicious.

I just gave best estimates by starting with the most recent and working backwards. If you're off by a month or two, no one will care.