how to Request day off for an Invite

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sarcoidosis

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am doing an elective in Surgery. The program knows that I am interested in them and hopefully they may be considering me. But if I have an IM interview during the Elective and need time off for the interview, how do I explain myself... or do I explain myself at all, and simply say I have an interview and need this particular day off, without proof...

Telling a Surgery program I have another surgery interview is not a problem but telling them that I am interested in surgery but Oh yeah... I am going to an IM interview, I am sure is going to raise eyebrows...

currently my best place of matching is the program that I am doing this elective at...

What do I do?

Members don't see this ad.

First you should not have any interviews if you are trying to show-off to another program by doing an elective with them. So I would reschedule the interview.

If that's not possible. just tell them you have an interview...big deal.

First you should not have any interviews if you are trying to show-off to another program by doing an elective with them. So I would reschedule the interview.

If that's not possible. just tell them you have an interview...big deal.

Agreed. Try to do the interview the subsequent month, and if it's not possible, just say -- I'm going to need to be out for an interview, and don't specify more unless you have no choice.

I agree about seeing if you can reschedule the interview. If you cannot, don't tell them it is a medicine interview. They probably won't ask anyway. Also, if you have to leave town, then offer to make up the time by working an extra day some other time (i.e. working 2 weekend days). It sucks but you don't want to look like a slacker in any way.

Rescheduling doesn't seem to be an option because the elective runs until mid December, I will reschedule to January if I can...

I will try to see if I can be vague when asking... but the prob is all the residents know me and are going to be asking me where are you interviewing and in what and on and on... Being vague is going to alienate me from them... Oh well, will see what happens never have been good at being diplomatic...

Rescheduling doesn't seem to be an option because the elective runs until mid December, I will reschedule to January if I can...

I will try to see if I can be vague when asking... but the prob is all the residents know me and are going to be asking me where are you interviewing and in what and on and on... Being vague is going to alienate me from them... Oh well, will see what happens never have been good at being diplomatic...

Just do like the Twix commercial and shove a candy bar in your mouth every time they ask you where you are interviewing, so it just comes out mumbles.

sarcoid...
if they pin you down about where you are interviewing, it would probably go over O.K. to tell them that you are applying to medicine as a backup. They will likely understand as surgery is a competitive field. Just say, "Yeah, man, I really only want to do surgery but I've got to make sure I have a job next year if all else fails...".

The only thing the dang cafeteria place here doesn't sell are chocolate bars... I have always wanted to reenact one of those Mentos commercials though...

Yeah, it seems like that is how I may have to reply if all else fails... because it is the truth. I just hope they understand... because surgeons are die hard people and some may not comprehend how anyone could even conceive going into another specialty. Because one of the most important things program directors are looking for is commitment.

thanks for the suggestions everyone.