How to request letter of recommendation from pre-health advisor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kzn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have met with her two or three times over my two and a half years at my college. I should I approach asking her for a letter of recommendation. I never developed a relationship with any of my professors, so I thought asking my pre-health advisor would be appropriate. Should I make an appointment with her and ask her in person or should I email her and suggest I meet with her? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, make an appointment to meet with her.
Then, at the meeting, honestly describe to her your goals and why you consider that optometry would be good career choice for you.
Another good option is to send your personal essay/resume to her so she can better assess your achievements and personality and can then write you a letter accordingly.
I know one of my professors requested me to share my personal essay with him & not only did he help me proofread it, he also wrote me a recommendation letter.
hope this helps :)

Depends on where you apply to optometry school. A lot of schools are specific in terms of a professor or science professor. I would definitely ask to meet up with the professor or health advisor. Bring everything such as personal statement and resume! In the meeting, show enthusiasm and passion about the profession!