How to rock in Chemistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blarelli

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm all registered up for Chemistry this fall, and I am a bit nervous about it. I have never taken any chemistry classes before, even in high school. How do you think I should prepare over the summer, and what kind of study approach do you find most useful for the subject?

Members don't see this ad.

I just read each chapter in my chem book and did as many practice problems as possible........

In the beginning chemistry looks bitter and really hard to understand. But, what I suggest to you is to try to learn it rather than memorize it. Most of my friends attempted to memorize it (well they got top scores, but at DAT and MCAT they had a hard time to manage the problems). I think chemistry is one of the sciences that has logic hidden in it. Once you get the logic, chemistry ill be a piece of cake! Believe it or not!:)

I'm all registered up for Chemistry this fall, and I am a bit nervous about it. I have never taken any chemistry classes before, even in high school. How do you think I should prepare over the summer, and what kind of study approach do you find most useful for the subject?

Members don't see this ad :)

You got on a forum about predents to ask how you should prepare for a class?

You got on a forum about predents to ask how you should prepare for a class?

Yeah, what's wrong with that? I'd say the majority of folks here have taken the class, and are also willing to give advice.

There's no secret to rocking chem, it's just about being disciplined to keep ahead of the game. Read ahead, attend every lecture, study a lot. It's really not a hard class as far as problem difficulty. If you practice enough problems and can do them carefully and methodically, you'll get great grades on your exams. Don't wait until the weekend to catch up on things. Practice frequently!

Pretty much what everybody else has stated,read ahead even if it confuses you, this will give you a chance to write out questions you may have so that when the prof goes over the material you'll either get it then and if not you know what concepts to ask for help on. But most importantly IMO, please don't be afraid to ask questions in or out of class if you don't understand a concept, chances are many of your peers will have the same questions but just won't ask. Make good use of the prof's office hours and take really good notes. HTH & good luck

I just read each chapter in my chem book and did as many practice problems as possible........

what I suggest to you is to try to learn it rather than memorize it. I think chemistry is one of the sciences that has logic hidden in it. Once you get the logic, chemistry ill be a piece of cake! Believe it or not!:)
Yea they got it. Make sure to stay caught up and seek help asap if you don't understand something. DO THE PROBLEMS, whether mandatory/recommended/related to the material to make sure you get them.

Follow your electrons! (for ochem)

Henderson-Hasselbalch! (for buffers / pH)