How to say no to an acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tl413

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I recently made my decision on Dental school. I will be attending Temple, and foregoing my seat at VCU and Maryland. How do I go about telling VCU and Maryland that I have chosen an alternative school? Snail mail? Email? Phone call?

Any input would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

"i'm too good for your school." lol just kidding

you can simply say that unfortunately, you must decline their offer of acceptance due to multiple acceptances and thank them for giving you time to make a decision. if you enjoyed talking with your interviewers there, you can add that too or something like that.

"i'm too good for your school." lol just kidding

you can simply say that unfortunately, you must decline their offer of acceptance due to multiple acceptances and thank them for giving you time to make a decision. if you enjoyed talking with your interviewers there, you can add that too or something like that.

That part is pretty standard. I must have stated my question incorrectly. Do you send a letter, an email, or make a phone call?

Members don't see this ad :)
i sent snail mail.

email/call them. snail mail is unnecessary. btw, congrats on choosing Temple. out of curiosity, why not VCU or Maryland. Anyways, I guess i'll see you there in 6 months.

email/call them. snail mail is unnecessary. btw, congrats on choosing Temple. out of curiosity, why not VCU or Maryland. Anyways, I guess i'll see you there in 6 months.

Temple has a better clinical education than the other two schools. VCU and MD are both great schools, and the decision was difficult. I have heard MD covers a lot of problems up with the new building. That was my number 1 for a long time(MD). Temple was high on the list, but I was impressed with what students had to say. MD students wouldn't even contact me to tell me about the school which was shady as well. When I say contact me, I mean they wouldn't respond to my emails. VCU was great, but it is a long way from home. I really loved that school a lot. Finally, I am from PA, and when you are footing your own bill the instate tuition is nice. Hope that helps!

Called to make it personal, and emailed to let them have it in writing for their records

suggest a friend that they shoudl admit instead... me perhaps... jk

congrats! I am waiting to hear form temple and am jealous of your success!!! You had a lot of choices to pick from, and sitll chose temple. That just makes me want it even more!

Probably call and send an email. Call so they can put it in right away and let the next person in line know..... and email so incsae the person at the phone isn't capable of doing two things at once, they still have it! JK

Just be nice about it and send them a grateful email for your acceptance but that you have chosen another school. You might find yourself applying there for a specialty program a few years down the line and you wouldn't want to burn any bridges.

Called to make it personal, and emailed to let them have it in writing for their records

:thumbup: This is the best way in my opinion. It's how I let the schools know.