how to say "thank you" for recommendation letters

NJT

10+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2004
Status
Hello,
Just wondering what y'all did. I know the standard note is usually the norm but I was wondering if that's enough as the people I have are writing on more than one form for me as I am applying to more than one place (this is for a masters of public health btw just thought I'd get more responses if I posted here). thanks! t.

pakidoc

go stl cardinals!!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2004
Status
what i did: box of chocs with a thanku card

UCLAreject

Registered "User"
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2005
la
Status
i just sent a cake with my amcas id written in frosting on the top

SaraL124

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2005
Status
pakidoc said:
what i did: box of chocs with a thanku card

same here. Someone I know is planning to send t-shirts from the school he ends up at.

fotolilith

It's for a good cause
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2004
Mittelschmerz, USA
Status
I gave my rec letter writer a copy of my favorite book, "Botany of Desire." It's about how plants and humans co-evolve (and the humor of it all). Great book!

daysleeprx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2004
Status
Gave two people flowers, one person a $50 gift certificate, and one person a bottle of scotch. :thumbup:

LSUwannabe

Just vomicked...
10+ Year Member
May 8, 2004
NOLA
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
It seems like every three days I post this on some form of this thread...perhaps I'll stop at some point. :)

I delivered a decent bottle of wine for mine, but one really liked stogies so I scored some La Cohiba's for him.

Wine's great, IMO, b/c they can always re-gift it if they're not boozers.

OP
N

NJT

10+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2004
Status
good ideas..i like the starbucks idea, although i would change it to dunkin donuts. what do you all think about chocolate covered strawberries?

docjolly

On Cloud Nine, Once Again
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2004
The Empire State
Status
Attending Physician
UCLAreject said:
:laugh: :thumbup:

Actually, I think this is more appropriate for your interviewer :laugh:

superdevil

planning my escape
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2003
always in the last place i look
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
NJT said:
what do you all think about chocolate covered strawberries?
maybe its just me, but that sounds kind of...sensual. exactly how well do you like your recommeders? :laugh:

of course, hopefully they aren't demented weirdo's like me. :D

Blue Scrub

The Gift & The Curse
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
UCLAreject said:
this is clearly the best idea in this forum thus far :laugh:

newhavenjake

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2005
Status
i think personalization is the key

I got america by john stewart for a liberal prof

4 movie passes to an alternative/independent films theater for another liberal prof

$30 certificate to smartbabies.com for a prof who just had a baby.

riverie

10+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2004
Houston, TX
Status
Attending Physician
i gave my pre-med advisor a blue chinese silk robe with an embroidered dragon on one of the reversible sides. he loved it.
i gave another of my recommenders an oriental maroon placemat set with chopsticks. (he's filipino chinese)
i gave my last recommender, a lady professor, a grey chiffon scarf/shawl.
i got all the gifts when i was home for vacation in singapore and figured they would be unique ones. and after the conversion rate, they really weren't too expensive.

DianaLynne

Catwoman!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 12, 2004
Ann Arbor, MI
Status
I offered all my letter writers a free mole check. Seriously, I sent Xmas cards with giftcards to Barnes & Noble.

superdevil

planning my escape
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2003
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
each of those who wrote for me will get a t-shirt of where i end up and something else (probably chocolates for the ladies and cigars for the gents, but i haven't ruled out gift certificates, either).

Blue Scrub

The Gift & The Curse
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
IndyZX said:
you guys make me feel like a douchebag.
haha....me too....all i really did was write them thank you emails......they seemed fine with it

superdevil

planning my escape
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2003
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
Blue Scrub said:
haha....me too....all i really did was write them thank you emails......they seemed fine with it
and of course, that's plenty. but i have known my recommenders well over a period of years and there's a decent chance that i won't see them again for many years to come--if ever again. so i figure the 100 bones for some small gifts is worth it to me.

Fusion

15+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2004
Visit site
Status
I like a lot of the small gift ideas suggested so far except the T-shirts. Just seems kind of silly to me. I mean, it's not as if your recommender is going to actually wear it, and it's not something that they could re-gift very easily either. Most of the time, recommenders aren't expecting anything besides a thank you card or email. If you do choose to include something along with the thank you, keep it simple.

OP
N

NJT

10+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2004
Status
Thanks for the advice you guys..thought I'd let you know that I went with the starbucks gift cards; they look really nice and hey, coffee is always a good thing, right? :) t.

Blue Scrub

The Gift & The Curse
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
starbucks gift cert is a good idea, wish I had done that

T

tunguyen99

NJT said:
Thanks for the advice you guys..thought I'd let you know that I went with the starbucks gift cards; they look really nice and hey, coffee is always a good thing, right? :) t.
I go with the starbucks gift cards but how much would it be appropriate? $25? $50? for each gift card? Thanks.

Blue Scrub

The Gift & The Curse
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
I guess its up to you...how well do you know the person? I'd say $10-$25 would be more than fine...that's what I would have done :)

GATORade

Retired
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2001
NY
Status
I actually took two of my letter writers out for dinner. Granted I'm a nontraditional applicant and my writers were colleagues. I'm not quite sure how appropriate it would be for you to ask your Organic Chemistry teacher out for a drink and a bite to eat. ;)