how to say "thank you" for recommendation letters

NJT

10+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2004
Status
Hello,
Just wondering what y'all did. I know the standard note is usually the norm but I was wondering if that's enough as the people I have are writing on more than one form for me as I am applying to more than one place (this is for a masters of public health btw just thought I'd get more responses if I posted here). thanks! t.

About the Ads

SaraL124

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2005
Status
pakidoc said:
what i did: box of chocs with a thanku card

same here. Someone I know is planning to send t-shirts from the school he ends up at.

fotolilith

It's for a good cause
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2004
Mittelschmerz, USA
Status
I gave my rec letter writer a copy of my favorite book, "Botany of Desire." It's about how plants and humans co-evolve (and the humor of it all). Great book!

daysleeprx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2004
Status
Gave two people flowers, one person a $50 gift certificate, and one person a bottle of scotch. :thumbup:

LSUwannabe

Just vomicked...
15+ Year Member
May 8, 2004
NOLA
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
It seems like every three days I post this on some form of this thread...perhaps I'll stop at some point. :)

I delivered a decent bottle of wine for mine, but one really liked stogies so I scored some La Cohiba's for him.

Wine's great, IMO, b/c they can always re-gift it if they're not boozers.

NJT

10+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2004
Status
good ideas..i like the starbucks idea, although i would change it to dunkin donuts. what do you all think about chocolate covered strawberries?

newhavenjake

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2005
Status
i think personalization is the key

I got america by john stewart for a liberal prof

4 movie passes to an alternative/independent films theater for another liberal prof

$30 certificate to smartbabies.com for a prof who just had a baby.

About the Ads

riverie

10+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2004
Houston, TX
Status
  1. Attending Physician
i gave my pre-med advisor a blue chinese silk robe with an embroidered dragon on one of the reversible sides. he loved it.
i gave another of my recommenders an oriental maroon placemat set with chopsticks. (he's filipino chinese)
i gave my last recommender, a lady professor, a grey chiffon scarf/shawl.
i got all the gifts when i was home for vacation in singapore and figured they would be unique ones. and after the conversion rate, they really weren't too expensive.

Blue Scrub

The Gift & The Curse
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
IndyZX said:
you guys make me feel like a douchebag.

haha....me too....all i really did was write them thank you emails......they seemed fine with it

superdevil

planning my escape
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2003
always in the last place i look
Visit site
Status
  1. Medical Student
Blue Scrub said:
haha....me too....all i really did was write them thank you emails......they seemed fine with it
and of course, that's plenty. but i have known my recommenders well over a period of years and there's a decent chance that i won't see them again for many years to come--if ever again. so i figure the 100 bones for some small gifts is worth it to me.

Fusion

15+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2004
Visit site
Status
I like a lot of the small gift ideas suggested so far except the T-shirts. Just seems kind of silly to me. I mean, it's not as if your recommender is going to actually wear it, and it's not something that they could re-gift very easily either. Most of the time, recommenders aren't expecting anything besides a thank you card or email. If you do choose to include something along with the thank you, keep it simple.

NJT

10+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2004
Status
Thanks for the advice you guys..thought I'd let you know that I went with the starbucks gift cards; they look really nice and hey, coffee is always a good thing, right? :) t.

T

tunguyen99

NJT said:
Thanks for the advice you guys..thought I'd let you know that I went with the starbucks gift cards; they look really nice and hey, coffee is always a good thing, right? :) t.

I go with the starbucks gift cards but how much would it be appropriate? $25? $50? for each gift card? Thanks.

Blue Scrub

The Gift & The Curse
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
I guess its up to you...how well do you know the person? I'd say $10-$25 would be more than fine...that's what I would have done :)

GATORade

Retired
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2001
NY
Status
I actually took two of my letter writers out for dinner. Granted I'm a nontraditional applicant and my writers were colleagues. I'm not quite sure how appropriate it would be for you to ask your Organic Chemistry teacher out for a drink and a bite to eat. ;)

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads