How to say this on my application??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peaceloveandmedicine

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I’m in my schools accelerated mph program. The way it works at my school is I take my first year of my mph in conjunction with my last year of undergrad. On my transcript, it has my first year of my mph classes count towards my undergrad degree. In the future these classes will also count towards my graduate degree.
My issue is my transcript doesn’t really explain this or say like accelerated masters program or anything. So it looks like I just took a bunch of public health classes my undergraduate senior year and I don’t officially start my mph until the fall.

I’m applying to medical school this summer but I am unsure how or where on the application should I explain this situation. Any advice is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

So I’m in my schools accelerated mph program. The way it works at my school is I take my first year of my mph in conjunction with my last year of undergrad. On my transcript, it has my first year of my mph classes count towards my undergrad degree. In the future these classes will also count towards my graduate degree.
My issue is my transcript doesn’t really explain this or say like accelerated masters program or anything. So it looks like I just took a bunch of public health classes my undergraduate senior year and I don’t officially start my mph until the fall.

I’m applying to medical school this summer but I am unsure how or where on the application should I explain this situation. Any advice is much appreciated!

Really nothing to explain. I was in a dual program as well. They saw both degrees along with my transcript and got the jist. No one asked me to separate which classes were for which.

Members don't see this ad :)

You could either
1. Use an academic honors place in the Activities section on your application to explain
2. See page 34 of the AMCAS application handbook under "Unusual Circumstances" it gives several scenarios, one of which matches yours pretty well, as in "Graduate courses attempted as an undergrad" and "Bachelors/Masters dual degree"

You could either
1. Use an academic honors place in the Activities section on your application to explain
2. See page 34 of the AMCAS application handbook under "Unusual Circumstances" it gives several scenarios, one of which matches yours pretty well, as in "Graduate courses attempted as an undergrad" and "Bachelors/Masters dual degree"

Are the rules the same for TMDSAS?

Are the rules the same for TMDSAS?
1. On TMDSAS they ask you to define your "Primary Undergraduate Institution" and your "Primary Graduate Institution". In your case these are the same. Courses are entered under term taken.
Pages 25-30 of the TMDSAS Handbook detail how to enter courses, but the specific situation you have isn't described.

2. Watch Episode 50 of the Inside Health Education Podcast ( helpfully mentioned in one of those blue boxes on page 29)

If watching this doesn't cover your question, message TMDSAS staff through your app. They are very responsive and helpful to questions, but they really appreciate it if you have taken some time to find the answer yourself first!

Reactions: 1 user