How to score well with preceptors during final year rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lsexie

Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any extra suggestions on how to excel and score well in order to receive great job or residency recommendations from your preceptors?

Members don't see this ad.

-be proactive, ask for projects, let your preceptor know if you need more work, if it's too much, if you need help with a concept, etc. Don't wait for them to ask you.
-be considerate to everyone from housekeeping to techs to your preceptors
-demonstrate follow-through (super important)
-take criticism well, it's the only way to learn
-be on time, follow the dress code, follow facility procedures even though you're not getting paid (no one wants to hear that complaint!)
-proofread. Anything you hand in should not have any typos. Professional environment=professional work.
-don't argue with your preceptor
-don't be afraid to say you don't know, but always say you'll look it up, and then do it! (see follow-through)
-go with a plan in mind of what skills you want to hone and be ready with those answers if your preceptor asks you

think of it as a 6 week interview/"try-before-you-buy" process except YOU are the product being tested.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any extra suggestions on how to excel and score well in order to receive great job or residency recommendations from your preceptors?

Spacecowgirl's list is right on! Work ethic is extremely important and following through with projects/questions. Show curiosity and a true interdisciplinary spirit, do not be shy about interacting with the docs and nurses.

In my opinion preceptors like students who just show up with a curiosity and enthusiasm for the profession! Be accountable for patients you take care of at your rotations.

Other than genuinely caring about what you're doing? I had the pleasure of being on rotation with somewhat malignant people who would always complain...i complain a lot, but not seriously.

On my 1st rotation I had a pt who probably could've been an ICU pt at a smaller hospital who was about 2 steps away from going into septic shock. My preceptor saw me a little too engaged (i honestly don't remember this) in passionately discussing the weird aspects of IV voriconazole to my team on like the first week. I probably looked like a nerd but he thought I was being a really proactive member of the team and remembered that for my recommendation letters.

I also did things that I didn't necessarily have to do...or maybe they're things that pharmd students should be doing while on a general medicine team. med rec/clarification with pts, discharge counseling, talking to med students and kinda hanging out with residents.

Don't be "that student" where everything revolves around you. Unless you are with clinical faculty or an rph who just rounds and doesn't do orders, realize that pt care, projects/meetings, etc comes first, and not your education. In my program preceptors are not compensated so learning with them is purely at their convenience. Also, try to avoid setting a schedule unless the preceptor asks you what's good. Most preceptors are understandable regarding having to go to work or whatever (especially during midyear/interview time) but you can't just show up on the first day and start dictating terms of your APPE.

If you're like me and hate retail, at least try and make the most out of it and learn obscure brand names and OTC, it'll help for NAPLEX. I was essentially indentured labor and the only relief I got was browsing the shelves to learn self care.

Finally, I just realized, a lot of times I was really crappy at the beginning of my rotations, and then became really awesome. I usually had a bad or eh presentation at first, and then 5 really good ones. Nowhere to go but up.

Get to know other pharmacists, not just your preceptor. Ask questions. Seem interested!

To score well with preceptors you need to know how to score them well.

-be proactive, ask for projects, let your preceptor know if you need more work, if it's too much, if you need help with a concept, etc. Don't wait for them to ask you.
-be on time, follow the dress code, follow facility procedures even though you're not getting paid (no one wants to hear that complaint!)
-proofread. Anything you hand in should not have any typos. Professional environment=professional work.
-don't be afraid to say you don't know, but always say you'll look it up, and then do it! (see follow-through)
-go with a plan in mind of what skills you want to hone and be ready with those answers if your preceptor asks you

These are the the reasons why I quit my rotations at a well known hospital during my school year and still wound up with a 120k+/year job.

Be yourself. That's it. Don't be fake. Don't be something that your're not.

Spacecowgirl's list is right on! Work ethic is extremely important and following through with projects/questions. Show curiosity and a true interdisciplinary spirit, do not be shy about interacting with the docs and nurses.

In my opinion preceptors like students who just show up with a curiosity and enthusiasm for the profession! Be accountable for patients you take care of at your rotations.

Once in a while, I will LIKE the annoying brat who is a dumbas* who asks so many questions, bothers me, looks like an idiot in front of everyone, and still has humility because he or she is genuine. It's very rare. But for everyone else, just don't be fake. I like people being genuine before anything else. Be yourself.

These are the the reasons why I quit my rotations at a well known hospital during my school year and still wound up with a 120k+/year job.

Agree up to a point, but not entirely. That's the nature of working with others. You can't be yourself 100% if anything so just to stay out of trouble with the overly sensitive PC nazi every work place has. Just as you have to pretend to give a dam when some co worker show you their baby pictures or goes on about the band camp.

Trying to do well during rotations is partly about learning those people skills. Whether it's pleasing your preceptor or the unavoidable boss in the future, the point is there will always be times when you need to get on some important person's good side. And doing that to land a residency is a lot better reason than most.

I agree with all of these recommendations. I want to add, communicating with the preceptor 1-2 weeks before your rotation and asking if there is any material you should receive before the rotation.

I am going through rotations now, here is what I follow:

1) Listen to what your preceptor has to say.

2) Do what your preceptor says, within reason.
2A)(Obv. don't break the law, even if your preceptor asks you to...)
2B) You are not above doing menial tasks.
2C) So what if you feel like you are free labor on a retail rotation. Get over it.

3) Don't make a recommendation to a doctor without first discussing it with your preceptor.

4) Don't complain while at your rotation, even if it sucks.

5) Be on time. (If you are 5 mins late once or twice, not a big deal. Any longer and it makes it seem like you don't care about their rotation.)

6) Your preceptors are real people. Be nice, be humble, joke around with your preceptor if the situation calls for it. This is what I call the "Don't be a dick" rule :laugh:

Wow, lots of great advice here! I agree with everything that's been posted and would add:

1. Know when not to speak up. There will be patients you won't get to see and times when your input won't be welcome - for example, if a patient has recently been told "there's nothing more we can do." This may be just another day at the office for you, but for the patient and his/her family, it's the biggest crisis they've ever faced. At times like this, we keep the team small so as not to overwhelm the family any further. Be an adult about it and don't complain. It's nothing personal, strictly business.

2. If you're going to be late, at least have a good excuse. And if you're getting caught in traffic every single day, I humbly suggest that you leave your house earlier.

3. Pharmacy is a small world, and preceptors talk to each other about their students. So be nice to your preceptor even if s/he is a jerk; your preceptor's best friend just might be the district manager or residency director you need to impress.

4. Hate your rotation? Repeat after me: "I'm only here for a month."

5. If your preceptor asks you a question and you don't know the answer, don't give a wild guess. It will give the impression that you don't know what you're doing and you're too lazy to look things up.

2C) So what if you feel like you are free labor on a retail rotation. Get over it.

3) Don't make a recommendation to a doctor without first discussing it with your preceptor.

5) Be on time. (If you are 5 mins late once or twice, not a big deal. Any longer and it makes it seem like you don't care about their rotation.)

6) Your preceptors are real people. Be nice, be humble, joke around with your preceptor if the situation calls for it. This is what I call the "Don't be a dick" rule :laugh:

Actually, two of my preceptors allowed me to make recommendations without discussing it first. (Retail and Internal Med)

Wait...you quit your rotations?

Not sure how you ended up with any job if you are inconsiderate, don't follow-through, show no initiative, take criticism poorly, argue, don't follow procedures, etc, etc. I would say those are skills not only for a student on rotation but for ANY person in any job. :confused: You need to be courteous to people you don't like, you have to be motivated even for the tedious parts of your job - this doesn't mean you're a fake. This doesn't even make sense.

Now I want to know what 120K job you have?

Great advice. Also, if you do find yourself being nothing more than free labor and not learning anything, you need to evaluate that site and you need to tell the experiential coordinator. It might not change anything but it certainly won't change if no one knows it's a problem site.

2. If you're going to be late, at least have a good excuse. And if you're getting caught in traffic every single day, I humbly suggest that you leave your house earlier.

3. Pharmacy is a small world, and preceptors talk to each other about their students. So be nice to your preceptor even if s/he is a jerk; your preceptor's best friend just might be the district manager or residency director you need to impress.
Absolutely.

I have a problem with point 2C above, for a retail or any other rotations. Students seem to forget that we aren't even doing free labor. We are doing labor that we are paying a huge amount of money for. When a tech asks you to do outdates for the whole hospital pharmacy (granted it's for a group of 4 or 5), just seems unreasonable to comply. When you just count by 5s all day in a retail setting, seems unreasonable as well. I understand that we can tell our experiential coordinator, but any way to address the issue right at the rotation? I'm just preparing for my retail rotation, because I heard it's all counting by 5s, and I know I'll get seriously pissed off when I'm there if that's how it is.

I'm trying to think of a good way to address it and I can't other than telling the IPPE coordinator ASAP, during and at the end of the rotation. It's up to the school to guarantee the quality of the experiences, you need to put that burden on them. Remember THEY are the ones collecting your full tuition; the site gets either nothing or a just a honorarium (for us it's $100/week, what are you paying per week in tuition?). I'm not saying it's right for sites to use you as free labor, but you really need to push HARD on the schools. They are ones making bank on 4th year.

And I think it's abhorrent to use students as free labor the entire time. I have no qualms about saying that <25% of time you do tech work depending on the needs of the site, but to have you doing tech work 100% of the time is totally wrong. TELL YOUR SCHOOL! Challenge them to prove that your 4th year tuition is worth something other than checking a box saying you've completed the required hours.

I have a problem with point 2C above, for a retail or any other rotations. Students seem to forget that we aren't even doing free labor. We are doing labor that we are paying a huge amount of money for. When a tech asks you to do outdates for the whole hospital pharmacy (granted it's for a group of 4 or 5), just seems unreasonable to comply. When you just count by 5s all day in a retail setting, seems unreasonable as well. I understand that we can tell our experiential coordinator, but any way to address the issue right at the rotation? I'm just preparing for my retail rotation, because I heard it's all counting by 5s, and I know I'll get seriously pissed off when I'm there if that's how it is.

Counting by 5s is a good part of my day when I go to work as an intern. I do outdates for a little while almost every day while at work. These are tasks that retail techs, interns and pharmacists do every day while carrying out the duties of their job.

I don't understand why a rotation experience should be any different. I am not saying that these are the only tasks you should do, but I don't follow the logic that since you are paying your school to be there, you should be able to pick and choose the tasks you want to complete. For me, if it is a task done in the course of a normal day by a pharmacy employee, it is fair game for a rotation student.

That's why don't take a bunch of retail rotations. I only had 2, which was the minimum required. And yes, i learned absolutely nothing in those 2 months beyond what I already knew as a walgreens intern. Just had to suck it up and do the uninteresting stuff with a smile for those 2 months and get those A's. Sure was glad when it was over.

Did learn a bunch from my other 8 months of hospital, ambulatory care and pharmaceutical industry rotations. Despite also having interned for a 1000 bed hospital for 2+ years, there is just so much more to learn inpatient wise. Can't really say the same for retail. :D

Last edited:
Use your retail rotations to go somewhere neat or go home to see your parents/friends for a month and pray to God you get one that doesn't make you stay 40 hours a week counting pills.

As far as scoring well, it comes to to one very simple thing.

BE TEACHABLE.

A teachable student is one who shows interest, asks questions, answer questions, remembers the answers they are given, and looks up/follows through with things on their own.

The other stuff (dress code, being on time, flexible schedule) depends on the preceptor. I wouldn't even notice if a student was 5-15 minutes late every day, but of course, wait till you learn the nuances of the preceptor before you bank on that.

The other stuff (dress code, being on time, flexible schedule) depends on the preceptor. I wouldn't even notice if a student was 5-15 minutes late every day, but of course, wait till you learn the nuances of the preceptor before you bank on that.

Yep, most of my preceptors didn't really pay attention to the time I came in or what I was wearing. One of them though would notice if I walked in 3 minutes late. She didn't even care that I usually stayed 2 hours longer than when I was supposed to go home.

Another preceptor of mine was a huge fashion-type guy. He always wore a different $1000 suit to the pharmacy every day. He criticized stuff like shoes not complementing the color of my pants or shirt being a non-traditional color (I only wear fitted shirts from Express in the MX1 or MX2 model, so the only way to vary the shirts is to pretty much get every color/pattern available) or stuff like shirt/pants being wrinkled, or shoes being scuffed.

On the other extreme, I had a preceptor who was so busy with his work at the pharmacy and with his side job as a consultant pharmacist, that he'd probably never see us until like 12PM unless he had to walk past our area on the way to get coffee from the coffee machine. He didn't even notice the dress. Like one girl who was there on rotations from another school, always dressed up quite provocatively. Never heard a word about it from the preceptor.