How to Scramble (if we need to...)?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeeGee

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a JUST in case question for those of us 4th yrs that are scared to death right now...!!!
Can anyone out there that scrambled please explain how it all works? I know the basics, but i need insider info. For instance, are u offered a position on the spot after youve faxed your info to a program, or do they give you the "we'll call you, don't call us" thing; leaving you in limbo indefinitely. What role does your dean and your medicine chair have in your scramble?
Any tips for those of us that (i know wont have to scramble but need to know now just in case the worst happens) have to scramble this Monday.??!! Thanks in advance for the advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I scrambled last year. I didn't get a spot, foolishly. Here's some advice from someone who did it wrong last time.

First, consider if you would take a spot in a specialty other than what you tried to match. I wanted EM, and didn't try to scramble into anything else, and got burned. Don't make the same mistake.

Write a scramble personal statement. Get it into ERAS this weekend. Remember that they will be off line on Tues the hour before the scramble begins, and ATDS won't be available. Do make certain that you have someone else read it to make certain the statement isn't too desperate sounding.

Check that your information is correct on your ERAS application. Put in the phone numbers you will be using during the scramble. Print out your application and the CV. Make certain that they are good prints, cause you might be faxing them. Check with your Dean's office about how they will handle LOR's should you need to scramble.

Consider looking up programs that have not historically filled, or that particularly interest you- in case they didn't fill, and jot down their telephone numbers. Last year, I found a number of telephone numbers listed were WRONG! Talk about frustrating!

Figure out where you will be working from if you have to scramble. Ideally, a quiet place, with two phone lines, a fax machine, and internet access (an absolute MUST!). If you are planning on using cell phone for another line, make certain that you have a good signal from that location. See if you can borrow someone's phone, so that you'll have another line or two. Also, see if you can coerce someone to help you with this mess. Don't bother if you can't get someone that works well with you when you are stressed.

When you pick this place, try to have some creature comforts near-by, such as a bathroom, food/beverages, etc. (If I scramble, I'm going to work from my sister's- she has a cat and a dog, so I'll have pet therapy readily available.)

Some places will offer you a spot after talking to you, and getting some basic information (know your USMLE scores by heart!). Others may want a formal interview (I think this is rare, but I have heard reports of it happening).

Try to schedule something Monday afternoon that makes you feel good about yourself, so no matter what happens, you have something to look forward to.

Even if you do have to scramble (VERY unlikely for a USmed student), MOST find spots quite easily during the scramble.

Good Luck! :)

sweet post.

very informative--hope i wont need it.

thanks for taking the time.

Thanks alot for the response.
Annette, what do u think was a reason why you didnt scramble into a EM spot? You'd mentioned that the programs asked for USMLE scores over the phone. Did they just say dont bother sending in your info at that point? Also, did the people you spoke with leave room for you to sort of sell yourself or did they simple say, "fax this and this to this # and we'll call you"?
Did your dean or mentor call some of the programs for you?
And lastly, how long did it take b4 the program gave a response? An hr or two... or not at all. Thanks.

Thanks Annette for the very informative post.

As with most things, the actual details will vary from program to program and for candidate to candidate. I've known people who are offered spots over the phone (these are often those who have interviewed at a program already - ie, a known entitity, but didn't match there), and others who had to fax stuff over and those who couldn't even get through because the lines were busy.

If you have a faculty member/Dean willing to go to bat for you, its always nice to have them available to make a phone call or two (I wouldn't ask them to do more than that), especially to programs where they might have some pull.

Otherwise, I can't think of anything to add to Annette's post...

The reason I didn't scramble into an EM spot was because no one returned my calls, and some didn't even answer the phone! There were only 19 spots last year. There was an open pgy-1 spot later in the year that got over 300 applications!

There is one thing I'd like to add to my post, remember that medicine is your profession, not your life. If for some reason you don't match, and/or don't scramble sucessfully, don't give up. There was a post in the EM forum (I believe) about someone shooting themselves over a joke about them not matching. If you, or one of your friends, is feeling this bad over the match, please get help. The match is not worth killing yourself over!

The EM scramble is rigged, I tell ya - rigged!

I got through to almost every program (except the one I should have called first), got my info in, and got bupkus.

Metropolitan in NYC had 3 open spots...and, by 3pm, had 2 SIGNED contracts IN HAND. From Brooklyn, if I'd left at noon, I wouldn't get there until 1pm, so that tells you something.

SUNY-Brooklyn was especially underhanded and devious last year in EM.

My friend told me about Rads - UT-SW had 4 spots open; they said they'd fill them in the year. 10 minutes later, all 4 spots were filled.

The scramble is greazy 'n nasty. Even though Annette says that it is highly unlikely that a US senior won't match, the NRMP give a 93 or 94% overall match rate - which means one in 14 people gets the chaff. Therefore, I can agree that it is highly unlikely, but, still, 6-7% is signifigant.