How to Scramble...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeeGee

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is a bit premature, but the General Surgery Scramble has been a fleeting thought in the minds of students that may have to scramble. I was looking at the 50+ categorical spots for General Surgery last year and figured that there must have been a lot of catfights to get the more choice spots left over (i.e. UCSF, UVA,...)!!! Thinking positive thoughts and JUST IN CASE we need this advice, will those surgeons out there that might have survived the scramble and matched into a categorical position please shed some light on HOW TO scramble effectively. Thanks for your advice. --BeeGee

Members don't see this ad.

What is this???!!??? Noone out there has any scramble advice for us 4th yrs. Geeeez!

I talked to a guy on the trail this year that didn't match last year and had to scramble into Gen Surg.

He had his CV, school transcripts, usmle transcripts, and letter of recs ready to fax and had his cell phone and one buddy's cell phone ready at noon. His student affairs office was very helpful with faxing his information all over the place for him. If you talk to your school student affairs office, I am sure they will be able to give you some helpful hints.

He also said that several programs were willing to offer him a spot over the phone by hearing his board scores and grades, while others wanted all his info faxed. It isn't very hard to find a spot in teh scramble...obviously really desirable cities are tougher than most, but still not impossible. He scrambled into Northwestern.

Yes, this subject sounds interesting, indeed.