How to Self-Design a GI Rotation for Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wearywanderer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, I apologize in advance if this is the wrong place to post this question, but I figured you all would be the best resource.

I'm an M4 who will be starting a GI rotation next month. The coordinator has directly told me that they are pretty flexible and can design the rotation around what I want to get out of the rotation. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions regarding cool and interesting stuff I should try to see/do? Clinically, I like inpatient medicine and procedures (almost considered surgery), but I'm not really a fan of outpatient. Scholarly, I'm interested by the microbiome, functional disorders, and NOTES, but not so much by hepatobiliary.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi folks, I apologize in advance if this is the wrong place to post this question, but I figured you all would be the best resource.

I'm an M4 who will be starting a GI rotation next month. The coordinator has directly told me that they are pretty flexible and can design the rotation around what I want to get out of the rotation. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions regarding cool and interesting stuff I should try to see/do? Clinically, I like inpatient medicine and procedures (almost considered surgery), but I'm not really a fan of outpatient. Scholarly, I'm interested by the microbiome, functional disorders, and NOTES, but not so much by hepatobiliary.
Why are you doing the rotation and what are you going into? Usually (but not always) when someone says they are not interested in something early in training it also means that it’s not something they know well. I’d try to see as much as possible and ask attending/fellow to let you know when there’s an interesting procedure happening.

Reactions: 1 users
Why are you doing the rotation and what are you going into? Usually (but not always) when someone says they are not interested in something early in training it also means that it’s not something they know well. I’d try to see as much as possible and ask attending/fellow to let you know when there’s an interesting procedure happening.

I'm going into IM and have a career interest in GI. I had previously down research with one of the attending and have tried to keep up with some of the latest happenings in the field. I will definitely try to see as much as possible. What are some cool procedures I should look out for?

I guess I should clarify that I don't dislike outpatient or hepatobiliary, I'm just not as enthused by them as I am by other stuff in the field. I do actually like some aspects of both those things.

See everything including general, pancreaticobiliary, liver, manometry, even some outpatient clinic stuff. EUS and ERCP are something definitely worth seeing as a student even if you’re not interested in those things to get a better idea of what it is. But honestly just see as much as possible because it’ll make you a better resident.

Reactions: 1 user