Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

How to separate similar work/activities on AMCAS

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by woltej1, 05.15.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. woltej1

woltej1 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Say I've worked as a CNA for a couple different places, do I split them up based on the companies or is it all one experience since it was under the same title. Or shadowing, if I shadowed different specialties far apart time wise are these 2 separate entries or 1 entry?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Verified
    Faculty
    For a similar job at multiple locations, I'd list the job title, the most recent location, the dates of the jobs, and in the description say something like "Employed at Hillside Home, 5/12-9/12, and Shadyside Nursing Home 5/11-8/11."

With shadowing, it looks like padding to make separate entries. I've usually seen people just put the total number of hours and the dates and then say something in the description such as "Shadowed a pediatrician, orthopedic surgeon, general internist, and a neurologist. Observed clinical exams, and orthopedic surgery."

4. woltej1

woltej1 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    So it's better to be on the side of caution and clump than to make it look like you're trying to max out your experiences? Also, is it bad if you don't put down 15 experiences? For my research, I did a poster based presentation, do I separate this from my actual lab research entry?

Is there a guideline about this on the forum somewhere that I can reference so I don't need to ask a bunch of questions. It's not that I haven no idea, just would rather have a little extra confidence in my app.

5. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Verified
    Faculty
    Posters are a separate category from research so it is legit to split. Too much splitting of things that are of the same category can look like padding.

6. Catalystik

Catalystik Providing herd protection SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    Reckoner and LizzyM like this.

About the ads