How to Shadow a Gen Surg?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

briansle

Cell A
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interested in Surgery, and would like to know how to go about shadowing a Gen Surg. Has anyone done this?

Did you just go your nearest trauma center and see if they have some kind of volunteer program?

Or just look up surgeons online and email them?

thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Networking really helps.

Interested in Surgery, and would like to know how to go about shadowing a Gen Surg. Has anyone done this?

Did you just go your nearest trauma center and see if they have some kind of volunteer program?

thank you

1) Trauma =/= general surgery.

2) If you don't have any personal or family connections, which is normal, find an academic medical center. Email or call the surgeons in the general surgery department. You could also contact community hospital surgery departments, but my sense is that it's generally easier to slide into academic centers since they're used to working with students.

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Trauma =/= general surgery.

2) If you don't have any personal or family connections, which is normal, find an academic medical center. Email or call the surgeons in the general surgery department. You could also contact community hospital surgery departments, but my sense is that it's generally easier to slide into academic centers since they're used to working with students.

That's what I did. I emailed about 30 surgeons. However, what I saw during my time with the trauma surgeon has made me take personal hygiene very serious, especially in the crotch area...I am scarred for life...sooo...much.... puss.... ugh.

GL and it's tons of fun!

That's what I did. I emailed about 30 surgeons. However, what I saw during my time with the trauma surgeon has made me take personal hygiene very serious, especially in the crotch area...I am scarred for life...sooo...much.... puss.... ugh.

GL and it's tons of fun!
how much puss is acceptable?

btw, that's different from pus.

Where are you in your training? High school, premed, applying to med school?

Edit: med student? Dentist? I looked at a couple of your older posts and now I'm confused...

Where are you in your training? High school, premed, applying to med school?

Edit: med student? Dentist? I looked at a couple of your older posts and now I'm confused...
Excessive pus in OMFS.

thank you

Are you a dentist wanting to apply to med school? We need more info.

You were on SDN since 2004. In this 9-year span, you should know the answer.

GL and it's tons of fun!

... Is there supposed to be a train pun in here somewhere?

If you live near a teaching hospital, then email the physicians who work there. Often times, the institution has an online directory. If you can find the names of the physicians who work there (usually posted on the hospital web site), you can pull their names, punch it into the directory, and get their emails. Then email them all. It may take a lot of emails, but a handful might take you on.

This is what I did and I got excellent experiences. I had no connections whatsoever so I just had to put myself out there. It also helps to ask if they know any physicians who might be willing. I had 1 or 2 who could not let me shadow them, but were attendings who knew a fellow or resident who they asked to let me shadow.