How to spend my gap year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroKlitch

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Graduate 2018 , will match 2019 . No huge red flags like failed semesters or bad grades , but took a few months off to study for step 1 , and the week or two gaps between electives just because of differing start dates almost made it impossible for me to get everything for this match cycle (still studying for step 2 , take it in a month ) . I am very set on psychiatry . Does anyone have any ideas what I should do during the 6-8 months off I have between my last rotation and match day. Was thinking of doing an MPH + observership 3x a week at a psych clinic if possible . Maybe an externship if I'm lucky enough to land one . Any advice on what to do so I don't appear to be out of the loop when interviews roll around. Also should I explain this gap in my personal statement ? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

nevermind, this advice is useless to the OP...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I say it is always best to explain gaps, or else our imagination will run in the wrong direction. I'm not sure how much "I took time off to study" explains things however.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah , I mean I took like 4 months off to focus on step one , only to get national average. No gaps with step 2 tho. So . Not really sure how to explain that one . My school required us to pass a practice step exam before taking the real step. Unfortunately don't have anything to explain away why I took longer than others . Any ideas of how to minimize the negative aspects of how it looks ?

Will show up as a temporary withdrawal on my transcripts , starting after the completion of my basic sciences .

That’s a red flag. I think a MPH is a fair option. Research is another. Apply broadly.

Yeah, it is a big red flag. I was confused by his original post that didn't really explain his situation...my previous advice is therefore kind of useless...

Wow really ? Didn't know . I thought it was normal for some people to take time off to study for step 1 .. yikes .

Wow really ? Didn't know . I thought it was normal for some people to take time off to study for step 1 .. yikes
Huh? How is it normal when the vast majority of people take no more than 6 weeks to prepare for it?

I actually hate the whole mentality of "studying for the boards". Aren't medical licensing exams supposed to establish that you've accumulated enough knowledge to be allowed to practice medicine? Aren't they supposed to test what you've learned *over the course of your training to date* rather than what you've memorized in the few weeks before the exam and then successfully dumped the vast majority of that information in the weeks after the exam? (Begging the question of what you've retained for the practice of medicine.) If Step 1 tests what you've learned in the first 2 years of medical school, what the hell were you doing then if you need to take months to a year to prepare for the test? I understand FMGs studying for the test because their home education may be vastly different from the US, and I understand doing questions/taking practice tests to see where you stand before taking the exam, but American medical (including osteopathic) students taking months to *study for it*?
(rant over)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Huh? How is it normal when the vast majority of people take no more than 6 weeks to prepare for it?

I actually hate the whole mentality of "studying for the boards". Aren't medical licensing exams supposed to establish that you've accumulated enough knowledge to be allowed to practice medicine? Aren't they supposed to test what you've learned *over the course of your training to date* rather than what you've memorized in the few weeks before the exam and then successfully dumped the vast majority of that information in the weeks after the exam? (Begging the question of what you've retained for the practice of medicine.) If Step 1 tests what you've learned in the first 2 years of medical school, what the hell were you doing then if you need to take months to a year to prepare for the test? I understand FMGs studying for the test because their home education may be vastly different from the US, and I understand doing questions/taking practice tests to see where you stand before taking the exam, but taking months to *study for it*?
(rant over)
At the same time, I feel that studying for the boards is important as it serves as a brutal period during which one can reinforce and condense the information they have learned during medical school.

Who said the mph would be completed by the time I applied. I'm asking about wise ways to use my time that I have inbetween .

Btw the gap in my question is between graduation and match . I've already taken step 1 and a month away from taking step 2 .

And apparently it seems like a huge problem for you all that I took time off. Either way I am an IMG so more stigma and hate coming my way. First 2 years were accelerated , so finished in 16 months . So I did not extend my graduation date and still finish on the same expected date.

And apparently it seems like a huge problem for you all that I took time off. Either way I am an IMG so more stigma and hate coming my way. First 2 years were accelerated , so finished in 16 months . So I did not extend my graduation date and still finish on the same expected date.

That was obvious when you said you weren't allowed to take the exam because you had to pass the practice test first. Yes, it's common for Caribbean students to take time off to study for the boards. It's also common for them not to match into residency or to be weeded out at that step 1 practice test stage.

People aren't being critical of you, they're actually trying to help you realistically plan for applying to residency.

Reactions: 1 user