How to spend the semester before med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

md2be06

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright folks, need a little input here if you don't mind. I'm confused and trying to figure out what the heck I am gonna do next semester. For the first time in 3 years, I'll have some time off from school. I figure I have three options. I'll just preface these options with the fact that actually having an acceptance lettter before the end of the semester would greatly simplify my life. :) <---- Med schools, in case you're lurking.

#1) Travel: Always wanted to travel, never really had the time. Where's everyone been and would highly recommend? Especially interested in Europe.

#2) Work: Not as appealing, but a little extra money before med school never hurt anyone. Have a cool degree in the computer/business field, so I could probably get a job that's pretty interesting. No offense to those who are doing research in labs. I just don't want to regret potentially spending the last significant amount of free time I'll ever have working away. I'll be working more than enough down the road.

#3) Just Chill at Home: Appealing cause of the home cooking. :D :D Unappealing cause ya know, once you get accustomed to the freedom you have in college, can you ever really go back? Plus, I don't think I could bum around at home for very long. I gotta keep myself busy, or at least look like I'm busy.

Anyway, what would you all recommend? Travel, work, or chill?

Members don't see this ad.

travel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
With chilling you may regret wasting your summer. With working you are kinda tied down to it, unless you do some type of consulting work.
You will never regret travelling. it is the chance to do something you have never done before. if you are in school, save those pennies. unless the 'rents are willing to foot the bill. but give them a heads up about your plans. You may want to check out the web for programs that let you go to another country, stay with a host and go to some language school. Also check out council travel. they might give you suggestions. Peace.
P.S. Sorry this message is so disjointed. I am on the phone ;)

i would highly recommend that you travel. given that you are going to be in medschool, you probably won't have an open opportunity like a semester off, ever again, and getting a chance to see what is outside of the US is just a great experience and a character builder.

i haven't traveled in europe, but from what i hear, it is really easy. you just need to get yourself a good travel book and a euro-rail pass.

latin america is pretty awesome too.

best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
In the summer before med school (hopefully next fall), I want to hike the Long Trail in Vermont. 270 miles from Massachussets to Canada. I've done sections of it before, but now I want to do the whole thing.

Originally posted by md2be06:
•#3) Just Chill at Home: Appealing cause of the home cooking. :D :D Unappealing cause ya know, once you get accustomed to the freedom you have in college, can you ever really go back?•••

This would be when your parent's house is no longer your home.

My advice: travel a little bit and then get a real 9-5 job.

Andrew