bigballer27

That's what she said
Nov 2, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
so i'm taking the test May 1st (8am), which is about 31 daysish i think

i have 11 tests left to take (3 PR, 8 AAMC), but i dont know how to spread them out for this last month

i have school on tues, thurs, and fri, so i cant take tests those days

i want to take these last PR ones first and then do the aamc tests, but how many should i save for the last week before my test, or the last 2 weeks even?

bigballer27

That's what she said
Nov 2, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
??

DrSmday

7+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2010
Cali
Status
Pre-Medical
for the last 2 months before my exam i took an AAMC practice test each weekend and went over my answers/reviewed weak areas during the week..

MCAT exams too close to each other did not seem to help me too much...

I would concentrate more on doing the AAMC exams and not the PR. do maybe 2 exams/week since you have only a month left.

the last practice exam I took was on sunday before my MCAT (my exam was on saturday). I chose not to take anymore practice tests since i didn't want to freak myself out. instead i spent the last week reviewing everything and going over my old exams.. I think this was a wise choice on my part since everything was fresh in my mind on the exam

hope that helps a lil.. good luck!

Vihsadas

No summer
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2007
An Igloo
Status
Medical Student
Check out the link in my signature. It gives you a good idea of what I consider to be a good spread of practice exams within the last week. You can also check out the testing schedule I attached to the post, it might give you an idea of how frequently I did practice exam. Notwithstanding, there are a few choice guides in the stickies of this forum. S2Ned made a killer one for instance. good luck. :)

bigballer27

That's what she said
Nov 2, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
thanks. looks appealing, especially with that monster score lol

pdxjazz

10+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Check out the link in my signature. It gives you a good idea of what I consider to be a good spread of practice exams within the last week. You can also check out the testing schedule I attached to the post, it might give you an idea of how frequently I did practice exam. Notwithstanding, there are a few choice guides in the stickies of this forum. S2Ned made a killer one for instance. good luck. :)
Vihsadas, what were you able to gain in taking a total of 20 practice tests, that you did not learn in the first 10 or so tests? The questions will be different on the MCAT from those practice tests, and one should have a pretty good feel for the style of the MCAT questions after 10 or so tests. Was it because you were exposed to a broader range of questions and thus prompted more content review in weaker areas after each test, or was it just getting more comfortable with the format each time you took an additional test?

I have 12 tests lined up now, and trying to decide if I would gain any real benefit from adding more. Thanks!

Feb 8, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I got a 39O (PS 14, VS 13, BS 12), and I ended up not doing too many practice tests early, then doing almost entirely practice tests once I felt I had a good grasp of the material. I wound up doing 5 or 6 full tests, then cut down to just the physical science sections since I was comfortable with my scores on the other two. The main things I got out of later tests was seeing how topics would be used in questions, and giving me info on what to review, as you said. Obviously could have used more work on the written portion, but otherwise it worked out ok.

pdxjazz

10+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I got a 39O (PS 14, VS 13, BS 12), and I ended up not doing too many practice tests early, then doing almost entirely practice tests once I felt I had a good grasp of the material. I wound up doing 5 or 6 full tests, then cut down to just the physical science sections since I was comfortable with my scores on the other two. The main things I got out of later tests was seeing how topics would be used in questions, and giving me info on what to review, as you said. Obviously could have used more work on the written portion, but otherwise it worked out ok.
Interesting Earthmk333. So you and Vihsadas got similar scores with taking less than half the FLs he did. That initiates another question for Vihsadas: Did you continue to see an upward progression in your practice tests score results until you reached all 20 tests, or did you level out at some point along the way?

BTW, congrats to both of you for great MCAT scores.

bigballer27

That's what she said
Nov 2, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
yeah 20 tests is alot, but i think the important point is to take as many as it takes to get the best score possible. whether its 2 (highly unlikely, and not good) or 20...

the thing is u have 2 months, so u can even do like 4-5 tests in this month, and then 7 in your last month, or 6 and 6, etc....i have 1 month and 11 tests lol. i think im gonna do 2 a week and then push in another test to finish all of them