how to start residency in UK as an IMG+ EU citizen who just got Full registration with the GMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

azerty

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I m a citizen of france and an IMG. I have completed my 2 years internship and got the full registration with the GMC in UK. I need to know please how is the process to get into the specialty program.
Thx

Members don't see this ad.

It's not as easy as it was.

You need to pass an English test with quite high scores before anyone will give you a job, then you've got two choices.

UK postgraduate training starts with a broad-based foundation programme (6 four month posts), these are designed for UK graduates and quite difficult to get into for IMG - being an EU citizen will help however. A certificate showing that you've completed this programme (or have a large number of general competencies that have been formally assessed) is required to enter any training programme. A way into the system would be taking some locum/service positions for a year or two while you build up a portfolio.

Speciality training is 6-8 years (frequently takes longer), quite bureaucratic and tends to involve a higher service element than most European systems. It is possible to have a successful career in the UK without ever going through a formal training programme, particularly in hard to fill specialities (Emergency Medicine, General Medicine etc)

Good luck