How to start studying for MCAT in April '10?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sully677

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been reading a lot of different materials to help my verbal so far. I plan on taking the MCAT in April 2010. As far as the sciences go, should I start reviewing my old text books such as GChem or should I buy some review books? I plan on taking the TPR class in the winter.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Buy Examkrackers bio, ochem, verbal, genchem, and physics content books.

Read through cover to cover until Jan 2010.

Buy Examkracker 1001/101 passages books
Get your hands on Kaplan FL's/PR/Examkrackers/Berkely FL's
Practice til April undertimed conditions
Don't waste money on AAMC tests, they are too easy on the PS and BS and are completely useless for practice in those sections.

Don't waste money on AAMC tests, they are too easy on the PS and BS and are completely useless for practice in those sections.

Disagree here.

You receive a test in the exact layout and format of the real deal along with a timer. It is great practice and gets you in the "MCAT mode" more than any other prep material, in my opinion. Of course, don't solely rely on these but they are definitely helpful, especially as the date approaches.

Edit:

Oh, and don't go too crazy yet. Focus on classes/ECs as any hardcore studying will easily be lost in time as the date is so far away. Start getting serious in the fall.

Oh, and don't go too crazy yet. Focus on classes/ECs as any hardcore studying will easily be lost in time as the date is so far away. Start getting serious in the fall.

Yeh, I plan on studying some this summer, not too much... Just to get a head start and make sure that I have plenty of review.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's no point at ALL in starting now. If you're taking it in April, think about starting about 4 months before that - so in December. Spend 2-3 months on content review and 1-2 months doing tons of practice passages/full lengths.

The generally recommended book list is:

Content Review:
Bio: EK bio review
Chem: TBR
Physics: TBR
OChem: TBR but there's less support for this because it's very in-depth and EK may be enough for oyu.

Practice questions
Verbal: EK 1001 and TPR Hyperlearning verbal workbook
Sciences: The TBR books come with tons of practice Qs + the TPR Hyperlearning Science Workbook has a ton more.

Exams:
AAMC! Other exams are NOT real MCATs and should be approached with caution.

Check out SN2ed's thread on creating a study schedule for 3 or 4 months.