How to start studying for the MCAT with my schedule.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NKaur92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a junior in undergrad. Taking 18 credits along with being a co author writing research with 2 fellow professors.

I'm also working on the weekends and volunteering during the week.
I'm taking Biochemistry, another bio nutrition class and physics part II.

I've read a few threads as to the different approach everyone is using, but I'm planning on taking the MCAT in June.

I've been advised to take a diagnostic MCAT test and then assess my strengths and weaknesses. But what is the best way to start prepping for the MCAT and at which pace should I do so?

I have friends who have already taken the MCAT and through them I have access to different companies test prep. Which would be the best way to start?

Was audio osmosis helpful to anyone? Examkrackers 1001 Qs? Gold standards videos? Princeton Reviews reading passage? Kaplan??

Any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently a junior in undergrad. Taking 18 credits along with being a co author writing research with 2 fellow professors.

I've read a few threads as to the different approach everyone is using, but I'm planning on taking the MCAT in June.

I've been advised to take a diagnostic MCAT test and then assess my strengths and weaknesses. But what is the best way to start prepping for the MCAT and at which pace should I do so?

I have friends who have already taken the MCAT and through them I have access to different companies test prep. Which would be the best way to start?

Was audio osmosis helpful to anyone? Examkrackers 1001 Qs? Gold standards videos? Princeton Reviews reading passage? Kaplan??

Ita not particularly possible. You may be able to but your score wont be as high. I wish I had had more free time to study for it. I used TPR and EK. They seemed to be the easiest and most detailed.

Though I would not at all recommend studying for the MCAT with that schedule, your best bet under fairly constrained time commitments would be to use Examcrackers for content review and Berkeley Review for passage practice. Study the content of EK, take their 30 minute exams, take BR passages and LEARN from their explanations.

If you would've taken 15 credits, I would've say it was possible, but 18 is just too much. I know medical school wants you to walk and talk, but I doubt with all you have going on you can carve out the 4 hours each day necessary without stressing out so much. Either take less of a load or just wait until summer MCAT. Trust me when I say you really want to hit it out of the park.

Also, you haven't even taken all you're pre-reqs.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's a rough schedule, but you still might be able to do it. Are you getting enough sleep? Exercising regularly? Still have time for social events and an hour on the internet? Then go for it. Just be aware of what you will have to give up for it. Only you know what is possible for you.

I used the Kaplan books. I started by taking two or three tests to establish a baseline and find the material I didn't know, then I did review books and flashcards with a periodic test (every other week maybe?) until I wasn't missing questions based on content anymore. After that I started reviewing other questions I missed and trying to figure out why I fell for the answer that tricked me. I kept taking tests and doing that until about two weeks before the test. Then I did endurance training where I would take two tests back to back every other day and review missed questions. Then I took three or four days off before the test itself.

It was a lot of work but it worked for me.

Good luck!

I think it best to take the MCAT with a very light courseload or with no classes, maybe you could take a break year and gain some clinical experience as a cna.

But if this is what you want to do, I think I would take the Self Assessments find out my weaknesses and concentrate on my weaknesses; do a at least one VR passage daily; do at least 1 AAMC FL biweekly; listen to EK AO whenever you got a chance; use mcat-review.org for content review.

That's a rough schedule, but you still might be able to do it. Are you getting enough sleep? Exercising regularly? Still have time for social events and an hour on the internet? Then go for it. Just be aware of what you will have to give up for it. Only you know what is possible for you.

I used the Kaplan books. I started by taking two or three tests to establish a baseline and find the material I didn't know, then I did review books and flashcards with a periodic test (every other week maybe?) until I wasn't missing questions based on content anymore. After that I started reviewing other questions I missed and trying to figure out why I fell for the answer that tricked me. I kept taking tests and doing that until about two weeks before the test. Then I did endurance training where I would take two tests back to back every other day and review missed questions. Then I took three or four days off before the test itself.

It was a lot of work but it worked for me.

Good luck!
I am glad it worked out for you!
Just curious, for how long did you study for your MCAT (weeks, months)?
Thanks!