How to start studying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hardbody

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, I will be starting my prep for the MCAT on July 1st. I have not taken any practice tests and have no idea where I actually stand. I am not taking any prep classes (I am freelancing my studying). I have the Kaplan MCAT book (the one you find in stores), the Kaplan book with two extra practice tests, and I have purchased ALL the AAMC practice MCATS (the paper version on their way). I have also just ordered the EK 101 verbal passages and have kept all my textbooks with studyguides.

I would like to know what is the best way to prepare for the MCAT? Since it is a "thinking" test, should I just take practice tests and analyze what I am doing wrong when correcting the tests, or should I first do a comprehensive review of all 4 of the basic sciences?

Members don't see this ad.

Study, study, study. You only have a limited amount of time left. Study as if your future depends upon it. It does. Read the review book twice, get one from another company and read it too. Write equations on whiteboards at school every other day. Do practice tests often, every weekend. During the week, drill on verbal passages or passages from the bio/phys sections. Don't underestimate how much work has to be put into preparing for the test. Good luck! :) :luck:

Hardbody said:
OK, I will be starting my prep for the MCAT on July 1st. I have not taken any practice tests and have no idea where I actually stand. I am not taking any prep classes (I am freelancing my studying). I have the Kaplan MCAT book (the one you find in stores), the Kaplan book with two extra practice tests, and I have purchased ALL the AAMC practice MCATS (the paper version on their way). I have also just ordered the EK 101 verbal passages and have kept all my textbooks with studyguides.

I would like to know what is the best way to prepare for the MCAT? Since it is a "thinking" test, should I just take practice tests and analyze what I am doing wrong when correcting the tests, or should I first do a comprehensive review of all 4 of the basic sciences?

I would stay away from following old texbooks/class notes, because you will waste a lot of time going over little details that won't be covered on the test.

Most people follow an advised schedule from a prep-book, because those prep companies cover everything that could possibly appear on the test. I would use the content from the prep books for review, and start taking practice tests once you feel like you have gotten through a decent anmount of the material

Then, practice tests practice tests practice tests!

LifetimeDoc said:
Study, study, study. You only have a limited amount of time left. Study as if your future depends upon it. It does. Read the review book twice, get one from another company and read it too. Write equations on whiteboards at school every other day. Do practice tests often, every weekend. During the week, drill on verbal passages or passages from the bio/phys sections. Don't underestimate how much work has to be put into preparing for the test. Good luck! :) :luck:

I forgot to mention I do plan to study for 6-8 hours a day. Does this sound like a reasonable amount of time to study or should I am a tad higher? I am applying strictly to Osteo schools since I will not be competitive this cycle to Allo schools (3.42 Osteo cum & 3.05 Allo cum, bad start to college), so I do not need a 99th percentile score.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hardbody said:
I forgot to mention I do plan to study for 6-8 hours a day. Does this sound like a reasonable amount of time to study or should I am a tad higher? I am applying strictly to Osteo schools since I will not be competitive this cycle to Allo schools (3.42 Osteo cum & 3.05 Allo cum, bad start to college), so I do not need a 99th percentile score.

Well, 6-8 hours a day is sufficient assuming you have nothing else to do such as work or school. I'd be sure to dedicate the full time to studying. I can't stress this enough...treat preparation for the MCAT like a full-time job, as if you were preping to become a physician. Because you are! :)

Dont' worry too much though, with practice you will achieve your goals.! Just practice, focus, and you will make progress in your practice tests. Also, don't understimate your competetiveness to allopathic schools. Apply to schools you wish to attend, and this can include a combination of allopathic and osteopathic schools. I started with a 3.1 and rose to a 3.3 with 1 year of post-bacc work, and went from a 25 to a 33 on the MCAT. No guaranteed admission to medical school, but it can be done.

One thing that helps is to find someone else that is studying for the exam. I wish I had that during my personal prep for the MCAT, would have helped me personally. But that's a personal decision.

LifetimeDoc said:
Well, 6-8 hours a day is sufficient assuming you have nothing else to do such as work or school. I'd be sure to dedicate the full time to studying. I can't stress this enough...treat preparation for the MCAT like a full-time job, as if you were preping to become a physician. Because you are! :)

Dont' worry too much though, with practice you will achieve your goals.! Just practice, focus, and you will make progress in your practice tests. Also, don't understimate your competetiveness to allopathic schools. Apply to schools you wish to attend, and this can include a combination of allopathic and osteopathic schools. I started with a 3.1 and rose to a 3.3 with 1 year of post-bacc work, and went from a 25 to a 33 on the MCAT. No guaranteed admission to medical school, but it can be done.

One thing that helps is to find someone else that is studying for the exam. I wish I had that during my personal prep for the MCAT, would have helped me personally. But that's a personal decision.

Thanks for the advice.

LifetimeDoc said:

Congrats on your MCAT score btw.