How to stay focused on boring verbal passages?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uclaussr

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
On the passages i find interesting i tend to score perfectly, but when the passage is so boring that i cant focus on it i get a very bad score :( How do i keep myself tuned in during those boring science and philosophy passages?

Members don't see this ad.

You won't get bored if you keep in mind that your lack of attention for 60mins of your life may result in you not being a doctor.

When I had this problem I would jump ahead and read a few of the questions. That way, I had something to pay attention to or look for. It gave it a bit of a context I guess. Be careful though - you have to do this sparingly though bc it can be a time sink if you're not careful.

On test day, when you're doing the ACTUAL verbal section, with all that sympathetic nervous system stuff going on, you're not going to get bored

On test day, when you're doing the ACTUAL verbal section, with all that sympathetic nervous system stuff going on, you're not going to get bored

i was actually pretty bored, but then again, my passages were so dry, even drier than the aamc practice tests...except maybe one