How to stay motivated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xelb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Salutations users of SDN,

Lately I have been having trouble keeping myself motivated. It's not caused by depression and it hasn't caused a drop in my grades or anything like that...but it seems that the "glamour" of wanting to go into medicine (the same glamour I felt when I first wanted to become a physician) has worn off completely. I still do want to be a doctor very much, but now it feels like more of a destination rather than the exciting and long journey I want it to be. I guess I just feel bored. In the past I used to watch medical documentaries and shows but I just find those just slightly boring now. Has anyone else felt the same?

Members don't see this ad.

Medicine ISN'T as glamorous and exciting as any TV program will make it out to be. You're realizing, as many pre-meds realize, the reality of what you're getting into, which is good.

Abandon this idealistic and romantic view that you have and trade it in for something real. In most cases, medicine is a rewarding career that allows for financial and employment security. You can't hold onto that pre-med idealism forever.

Try shadowing some more, it might help you remember what you are striving for, or it mind remind you that this really isn't what you want.