Doc2019

2+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys, I just wanted to ask you guys: How to study for my Bio exam? My class uses Campbell Biology and has this Mastering Biology Program and I'm planning on studying my professor's powerpoint (Highlighting specific tables to memorize like the functions and names of certain chemical groups) and just going over all of my homework, adaptive follow-up, Study modules, practice quizzes and activities in the Mastering Biology program. I don't plan on studying the textbook but should I? I just think it's pointless since the Powerpoints go in depth on the big points and the practice questions/ homeworks/ study modules/ activities already go into what the textbook teaches. My professor uses Campbell's Powerpoints, so if any of you know have had experience with that, please tell me if it's specific enough. How do/ did you guys study?

Lawper

cat in a box
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Jun 17, 2014
space chat
Read the slides (your prof provided them and highlighted for a reason) and do problems from the online website. You should be good to go.

Turkishking

2+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Shouldn't be that difficult, just memorize. It's basically memorizing the terms because it's all introductory terms. Well, I'm not sure if it is intro to Bio.

Moose A Moose

7+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Route memorization of all the content on PPT. Take notes in class per slide because sometimes professors like to sneak in a few extra tidbits that will separate those with A's in the end from the pack.

Bio is straight memorization, not really much else. It's pretty much the one class that really is about how much time you put into it, unlike physics/orgo which require some analytical inclinations.

altblue

5+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2014
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Bio is straight memorization, not really much else. It's pretty much the one class that really is about how much time you put into it, unlike physics/orgo which require some analytical inclinations.
Yeah, it has more memorization, but Depending on the school it may be more conceptual or have reading comprehension style Mc questions. One question I saw required spatial reasoning (!)

OP, if you can, figure out what is better explained (concepts) than memorized. Rewatch lectures, and do not memorize until you understand.

Sent from my phone.

Styrene

medical student
5+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2013
New York
Status
Medical Student
Depends on the class and school. My bio courses have mostly MCAT-style questions but in short essay answer form if that makes sense.