How to Study for a Retake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paperaeroplane

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the MCAT last June and got a 29N (10 Bio, 11 Physical, 8 Verbal). I used the Princeton review hyperlearning course but hardly went to classes and studied on my own. I also used the Berkeley Review Physics and Gen Chem books as well as the Exam Krackers Bio book and did passages in them. I did not focus on Verbal as much bc I had done really good in the past on the sat and lsat verbal sections. I think this hurt me...I focused on my weakness, which was physics and gen chem. I am now unsure of how to prepare for a retake because I have used all the AAMC exams as well as the TPRH science workbook...So now I am unsure of how to approach studying. Should I reuse these materials or should I do the Kaplan course?? I am taking the MCAT on May 18 and haven't even started studying yet. Any suggestions wud be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

While I don't have experience in this area (I haven't sat for my MCAT yet), I think some people would recommend using TBR FL's and doing HEAVY post-game analysis on them. Your science sores are good man, just make sure you can rip those off again and bolster that verbal and you're good. If you need verbal practice use EK Verbal 101 and TPRH Verbal.

I think reusing verbal materials can actually be quite helpful. It proves whether or not you were actually able to adjust your reasoning. Granted, you may remember quite a bit, but if you STILL got some questions wrong (which you very likely will) it becomes easier to see what you should have adjusted but failed to do. Such a strategy is really only available to retakers.

Of course, I wouldn't rely solely on this. I'd use it to build up to new passages. And, hopefully, you'll get to the point that you don't even realize that you've begun new passages as they are all doable for you.

This reasoning does not apply to the sciences imo however. Look into Kaplan, the rest of TBR, and EK.

I took the MCAT last June and got a 29N (10 Bio, 11 Physical, 8 Verbal). I used the Princeton review hyperlearning course but hardly went to classes and studied on my own. I also used the Berkeley Review Physics and Gen Chem books as well as the Exam Krackers Bio book and did passages in them. I did not focus on Verbal as much bc I had done really good in the past on the sat and lsat verbal sections. I think this hurt me...I focused on my weakness, which was physics and gen chem. I am now unsure of how to prepare for a retake because I have used all the AAMC exams as well as the TPRH science workbook...So now I am unsure of how to approach studying. Should I reuse these materials or should I do the Kaplan course?? I am taking the MCAT on May 18 and haven't even started studying yet. Any suggestions wud be greatly appreciated.

Study experimental bio passages like your life depends on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
In terms of studying for the physical sciences sections, what should I do? For content review and practicing with passages, should I retake Berkeley Review or will that hurt me? I have the Exam Krackers books, but are the exams in those sufficient for practice?

Pick up the Examkrackers 101 Verbal Reasoning passages and do all 14 practice tests under timed conditions to prepare. You probably could use some more content review for biology. I personally though that the Gold Standard practice tests were helpful as they are tough.