How to study for DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Awuah29

Christian predent
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
eed help. What's the best way to study for the DAT using the Kaplan blue book. Is it better to used the CD first to see where I' m standing or just memorize the blue book and used the CD. My overall question is how to prepare well for the DAT. My ultimate goal is to get in the high 2O's and I don't care if I don't see the sun for 3 month

Members don't see this ad.

If you're planning to spend 3 months to study, read and memorize the book first. Then take the sample tests. If you don't want to wait until you're done with all 3 science subjects, study bio first and do the sample bio tests. Personally, I don't like to take the test first to see in what subjects I'm weak. I like to see the whole picture, not piece by piece.

Also, get your hands on as many as problem sets possible. Even though you know Kaplan blue book by heart, the DAT can throw you off by presenting problems using different format or wording.

Plus, I just want to remind you that you can submit your ADEA application even before you take the DAT. Do not wait til you take the test. Submit the application first.

I agree with aileen. The DAT is adaptive test, you need to use the Topscore CD to do that... obviously you need to study the KAPLAN book - over and over.... until you get to the point of recalling topics - and understanding the concepts in each section. Once your are familiar with them, practice, practice, practice... and you should become more comfortable of taking the actual test.

No need to suffer over this - its just takes patience and commitment.

Originally posted by Mo007
The DAT is adaptive test, you need to use the Topscore CD to do that...

FYI, the DAT is not an adaptive test...meaning the next question will not change in difficultly based on your prior answers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by HBomb888
FYI, the DAT is not an adaptive test...meaning the next question will not change in difficultly based on your prior answers.

Topscore CD is a real good indicator on how well you know the material to take the actual DAT... It also allows the individual to adjust to the timing, and get a hang of the material type and difficulty to be expected on the real test. If you can master this, then it shows you are capable of getting some good scores (assuming you know the material). So yes - you got to get accustomed to the approach of the test.

There is a strong correlation between Topscore and the Actual DAT scores.

Originally posted by aileen
Plus, I just want to remind you that you can submit your ADEA application even before you take the DAT. Do not wait til you take the test. Submit the application first.

What if your GPA is a little bit on the lower side, say like 3.2-3.3?? Will you just get flat out rejections even without the schools having your DAT scores or will they not even review your app. until they have the DAT scores?

Originally posted by EVN3331
What if your GPA is a little bit on the lower side, say like 3.2-3.3?? Will you just get flat out rejections even without the schools having your DAT scores or will they not even review your app. until they have the DAT scores?

Usually they wait until your application is complete before they look at it. On the other hand there have been reports of people getting interview invites before they've completed their applications. Usually the missing item is a rec letter or something small though, the DAT scores are essential in my perception.

Originally posted by Mo007
Topscore CD is a real good indicator on how well you know the material to take the actual DAT... It also allows the individual to adjust to the timing, and get a hang of the material type and difficulty to be expected on the real test. If you can master this, then it shows you are capable of getting some good scores (assuming you know the material). So yes - you got to get accustomed to the approach of the test.

There is a strong correlation between Topscore and the Actual DAT scores.

Agreed. Topscore is a very good indicator for the real DAT.

guys,
is it better to apply earlier because the sooner the better. What about if you don't have your Dat results now?

Hey, 3.2-3.3 is excellent. Do not worry! Your GPA is good enough for you to send the application before DAT score.

During 2004 cycle, I sent my ADEA applications along with the recommendation letters and secondaries (if necessary) in early August. I was far from ready to take DAT. I started studying in September and took the test on November 6. My 1st interview invitation came from UConn about two weeks after the test date. And many others followed.

ADEA is really slow, especially during the first 2-3 months. It took them 6 weeks to process my application and to send it to the schools.

TO OP,
I took my DAt about 3 weeks ago. i studied for about 3 months but I work full time. I spent like 15 hours total on weekends and couple hours everyother day after work. i was also a chemistry major(helped a lot in chemistry and QR) and i graduated in 2001. My DAT is 24/23/19 science/AA/PAT. Here is what I did. i memorized the Kaplan book(read almost 10 times in 3 months). Then went over Examkrackers for chemistry and organic chemistry 3 times total but after first time i understood all the concepts it didn't require much time for that. Also TOPSCORE is a must. I think actually DAT is very much similar to that except for PAt. I had some trouble in PAT but I guess I am happy with 19. just do above and you can't go wrong in DAT. But make sure you understand all the concepts in kaplan blue book.

Kaplan is awesome for the sciences.

I used Barron's and Kaplan for the PAT and another book..forgot the name.

Kaplan should be good enough for the US DAT. I wouldn't know since I took the Canadian one which is supposedly harder but even then Kaplan was fine!

thanks woodsy,
See you at columbia maybe next year as a freshman

you're going to columbia?

I might be in Toronto instead hahaha who knows.

Is there ANY other source of practice tests besides the following?

-Kaplan book tests
-Kaplan's CD
-Barron's book tests
-Top Score CD

Anything else that has DAT practice tests?

The king of all practice tests is the DAT registration booklet. It's not full length but it is the most accurate.

claudiadent said:
Why do you need more tests? Aren't you in already?

I don't need them for myself but fellow classmates taking the test have asked me and that's all i could come up with....so just wanted to see what else there is.

Thanks sxr71...i'll let them know about that. I registered for the test online so didn't know about the booklet.

Any other practice test material out there?

fairbrother said:
TO OP,
I took my DAt about 3 weeks ago. i studied for about 3 months but I work full time. I spent like 15 hours total on weekends and couple hours everyother day after work. i was also a chemistry major(helped a lot in chemistry and QR) and i graduated in 2001. My DAT is 24/23/19 science/AA/PAT. Here is what I did. i memorized the Kaplan book(read almost 10 times in 3 months). Then went over Examkrackers for chemistry and organic chemistry 3 times total but after first time i understood all the concepts it didn't require much time for that. Also TOPSCORE is a must. I think actually DAT is very much similar to that except for PAt. I had some trouble in PAT but I guess I am happy with 19. just do above and you can't go wrong in DAT. But make sure you understand all the concepts in kaplan blue book.

What is examcrackers and where could I find it? I have been studying Kaplan's book--but really need some additional help with the G-chem and O-chem.

i mentioned this in another post, but you asked, so...

kaplan has a review for organic that helped me big time, i bet they have something for gen chem too. if not, kaplan's organic edge is great for that & maybe you could look at examkrackers for gen chem if kaplan's comp review book isn't enough to fill your craw (?!)